Immortals Chapter 8 - His Highness and his Filthy Peasant

Ayame's hands shook as she waited. Waited in the silence and darkness. She'd decided her plan, and she wouldn't go down without a fight.

If Sasuke payed her a visit tonight, and tried to kill her, then it was only fair that she tried to kill him. She just hoped that it wouldn't have to come to killing blows; she didn't want to die, and she didn't want to kill him. But those were her only options. Fight, or die.

Her conversation with Richard earlier that evening unsettled her. Sasuke had actually went as far as to betray her and make a pact with him? It would make sense; Sasuke had no feelings for her, and he would feel no remorse if he were to kill her himself. But how would he do it if he were to? Would he make it painful? Quick and easy?

She so wanted to close her eyes, let herself fall asleep, and hope that he'd kill her while she slept to make it easier. But she'd promised herself that she'd at least give a small effort in fighting. She had no idea how old Sasuke was, but from what he said earlier - 'I've got too many years on me to try to remember every guy I try to kill,' - proved that he was old. In vampire terms, with age came power and strength. There wouldn't be much of a fight at all.

Under her pillow, gripped tightly in her hand, was a crude stake. She hoped that was the way vampires would go down, otherwise, she was screwed.

Her heart began to thud as she heard a soft rush of air in the otherwise silent room. She'd heard that sound whenever Sasuke arrived. Very gentle footfalls were heard as he seemed to be making his way over. Ayame kept her eyes closed, waiting for the perfect moment.

She tried not to flinch when she felt his cold fingertips on the edge of her face. He picked up a strand or two of fallen hair and brushed it back behind her ear. This was it! It was now or never!

But, even as he lowered his face towards her, she was frozen still. She couldn't move. She couldn't even twitch a single finger. Then she realised she couldn't move because she didn't want to. She didn't want to kill him. She didn't even want to hurt him.

She felt Sasuke's breath on her throat, making her have to resist the impulse to shiver. She remained still, unmoving, waiting.

The horrid pain never came. She never felt his teeth sink into her throat. Instead, what she felt surprised her.

He had placed a very gentle kiss on her cheek.

What was he doing? Was he toying with her? Was that only a distraction?

'Move, Ayame, move!' She told herself. She had to move now, or there wouldn't be another opening like this. Next time, he'd go for her neck.

She finally regained control of her body. She'd already planned her moves out in her head.

Using her right arm, she quickly snatched hold of his wrist, yanking him towards her. With her left, she aimed the stake at his heart. She was fast.

But he was faster still. As he fell forward towards her, and the stake which was clearly aimed at his heart, he switched her right hand around, grabbing her wrist and pinning it to the bed, preventing her from shoving him off. As for her left hand, he used his left, taking hold of her wrist and tossing the stake aside. To make sure she could try nothing more, he made sure both of her wrists were incapacitated.

She refused to admit defeat there. Her legs always had more power in a kick than her arms did in a punch, after all.

Before she'd even began to move her legs to land a kick on him to shove him off her, he had seemed to guess what her plan was. She hadn't even managed to move her legs ten centimetres before he had stopped her plan there. She hissed in pain when his shins dug into hers.