Immortals Chapter 5 - The Phone Call

Ayame woke up with a smile the next morning. Just to check that she hadn't imagined Sasuke had been outside, she jumped out of bed, rather exuberant for someone who wasn't a morning person. Several times last night, she had looked out of her window, to find Sasuke was still standing there like a loyal guard dog. She had so wanted to tell him to come inside out of the rain, but she couldn't have any distractions from her homework, and plus, it would be too risky. If her father found him, even if he was a vampire, Sasuke would end up getting a black eye and thrown out of the window.

Slowing as she reached the window, to make it seem casual, she drew back the curtains with a small yawn. Opening the window up, she leaned down on the sill, her eyes slowly taking in the landscape. If she moved her head too quickly, Sasuke would know instantly that she was looking for him.

She soon found him. He was standing directly below her, leaning against the wall with his arms folded. His head was leaned back against the wall, eyes closed. His face was so peaceful that she believed he was sleeping at first.

"Good morning." He said softly, his eyes opening.

"G-good morning..." She stuttered, becoming still when his eyes locked with hers. "...were you there all night?"

"Yeah." He answered after a short pause. "So was he." Sasuke's head turned downwards, his eyes drifting to the cluster of trees to the left of Ayame's house. As Ayame's room was on the left side of the house, she was able to see where he was looking, but was unable to see anything within the trees.

"Is he still there?" She asked, looking back at Sasuke.

"Yep. Though I can tell his patience is running thin. He's going to try something soon."

Ayame suddenly felt a sudden pang of panic at the idea of Sasuke clashing with the unknown vampire. She suddenly closed the window, hurrying to throw on some clothes. Once she was presentable, she rushed downstairs after checking the rest of the house. All of her family members seemed to be out; her father and sister at work, and her brother at college, no doubt.

Pulling open the door, she went to take a step out onto the porch. Sasuke was in front of her within a second, swiftly pushing her back over the threshold. She stumbled back, eyes wide as she stared at him. His fingers dug into the doorframe, but that didn't seem to be the thing holding him out of the house. He looked as if he was standing on the other side of glass; there was an invisible barrier physically stopping him from entering.

"Are you stupid?!" He demanded, a dangerous scowl on his face. "Don't step outside. All it takes it one second and he's got you!"

"S-sorry..." She whispered, looking down. Slowly, she lifted her gaze back up to him. "...what are you doing?"

"What do you think I'm doing? Performing a magic trick?" He asked sarcastically, before pushing away from the door. "I'm a vampire. Think."

"Wait...you can't get in?"

"I think you deserve ten brownie points." He grumbled. "Of course I can't get in! I have to be invited. That's why you're safe here. He can't get in either."

"I'm sorry I'm not the world's most informed girl on vampire mythology!" She snapped, folding her arms.

He sighed. "Don't leave the house." Was all he said, before beginning down the porch stairs.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"Home. Even vampires need sleep, you know."

"Really?" She very nearly stepped out onto the porch after him, but one dangerous glare was enough to make her take several steps back into the house. "I-I mean...you can't leave me here with that vampire. He might kill me."