Demon Eyes

Yuna and Elvin made their back to the inn through town. As they traversed the landscape Yuna started to feel kind of strange. She could sense and see all the auras of everyone in town. It made her feel dizzy and a little sick to her stomach. She also felt as if some outside force was constantly pushing on her, as if it were trying to make her leave the city. Elvin noticed that Yuna did not look so good.

"Are you okay, Yuna?" Elvin asked. "You look rather pale and sick."

"I don't feel too hot." Yuna said. "I think I need to lay down. We need to get to the inn as soon as we can."

Elvin braced Yuna up by wrapping her arm around her shoulder. "Here I will help you walk." Elvin smiled.

"Thanks." Yuna said. The two of them then traveled slowly to the inn. When they opened the door, Peter shouted at them.

"New blood!" He yelled. "Oh, wow you don't look so hot."

"Always know how to cheer a girl up don't you Peter?" Yuna teased, barely able to stand. "I just need to lay down and rest for a bit. I am sure I will be fine."

"You don't look fine, new blood." Peter said. "Elvin put her to bed and then go fetch the Guild Master. I have a feeling he can help."

"Okay!" Elvin said as she carried Yuna off to her room.

"You sure you want to send Elvin for help?" Another patron asked.

"Oh right." Peter said. "Would you mind fetching the guild master for me?"

"Sigh, you will owe me a drink Peter." The patron said.

"I'll give you two drinks if you make it quick, Samantha." Peter replied.

"Fine, fine." Samantha said as she got off her chair. "I will be back before you know it. Don't know why you want Max though."

"Just trust me." Peter said. "I have seen something like this before. He is literally the only person who can help our new blood."

"See you soon, love." Samantha said as she blew Peter a kiss.

Peter slapped the air as if he were trying to repel the kiss that was blown at him. "Just hurry please."

"Always the party pooper." Samantha said as she left closing the door behind her.

Elvin then reentered the room prepared to start her journey. "Change of plans Elvin dear, just stay by Yuna's side and make sure she doesn't get any worse." Peter said. "I already sent someone else to fetch Max."

"Oh, okay!" Elvin said. "Thanks for letting me stay with Yuna!" Elvin then ran back to Yuna's room to stay next to her ailing friend.

"Purple eyes." Peter said to himself as he started to clean the mugs at the counter. "What did that Marl do to Yuna." He sighed. Several moments pass that feel like eternity until finally the door of the inn opens once more. Samantha enters the room first and blows another kiss at Peter while giving him a wink.

"I brought Max, pour my drinks love." She said.

Max entered the room closely behind her. "What is it that you need old friend?"

"Remember how you sent Yuna to Marl?" Peter said.

"I do." Max said. "What of it? I am a remarkably busy man as you know."

"Well she is back, and extremely ill." Peter said.

"You should contact a doctor then." Max said. "Why ask for me?"

"Yuna had purple eyes Max." Peter explained. "You know what that means right? Her eyes turned purple and she is extremely sick inside the city. You remember when this happened the last time right?"

"But Yuna is a human." Max replied. "Such a thing shouldn't even be possible."

"What are you all talking about." Samantha interrupted. "Where's my drink, my mouth is a desert, the only salvation for me is ale!"

Peter began pouring Samantha a mug of honey ale while he explained the situation to her. "Years ago, one of the demon generals under the demon lord visited the city. They looked like a normal person and concealed their horns under a hood. As they wandered the city the light magic barrier that Max set up made them progressively sicker, until finally they passed out in the street."

"So, what's that got to do with Yuna?" Samantha asked. She was reaching out for her mug with excitement.

"There is a feature that high ranking demons all share." Peter said. "Max and I did extensive study on their kind. The stronger they are the more human they appear. With the low-ranking demons being no more than mindless beasts."

"Such as demon dogs, cats, or bears." Max added.

"Slightly higher ranked demons are a bit more human like." Peter said.

"Those would be your demonic goblins or lesser imps." Max added.

"A demonic goblin?" Samantha asked before chugging her drink.

"It's like a normal goblin in appearance but has a red skin tone." Max explained. "They are also more vicious than a regular goblin as well."

"Sounds scary!" Samantha said, interrupting her chugging.

"Above that class of demons, you run into creatures such as succubi and incubi." Peter said.

"They are almost human in appearance but have goat legs and snake eyes." Max replied.

"Next you have the lesser demon classification." Peter said. "Those demons appear almost as human but have gray skin or just a decayed appearance."

"A lot of heroes have actually classified these demon's incorrectly as the undead." Max said. "They are creatures such as a vampire or a lich."

"I thought those were undead... hic." Samantha said. "Another round please."

"No, they are indeed demons." Peter said. "Next you have your upper demons. These demons look almost exactly like humans. They even have human colored skin. The only differences between them and a human are their eyes and their horns."

"They are also creatures of unimaginable power." Max said. "The void magic they wield is only countered by light back. The drawback of course is all light magic is defensive by nature. Whereas void magic is offensive in nature."

"Okay, thanks for the lesson... hic" Samantha said. "But I still don't see what this has to do with Yuna."

"Remember how we kept mentioning the eyes?" Peter asked.

"Yes." Samantha answered.

"They all have purple eyes." Max explained. "Every upper level demon has purple eyes."