The Magnificent Marl

Marl studied his new pupil. "I guess I should start by explaining the magic of this world." Marl said. "Tell me, did they have magic in your world girl?"

"No, we had nothing like magic in my world." Yuna explained. "My name is Yuna by the way."

"I don't really care what your name is girl." Marl said. "I will use your name when you have earned my respect. Until then I shall refer to you however I please."

Yuna did not like the attitude that Marl gave her. She did want to be a mage however; so she decided that she will just endure it for now. "Yes Master, I understand." Yuna said.

"So as I was saying girl, I find it odd your world had no magic." Marl said. "I thought magic was everywhere and in everything, somehow your world is different though. That is very intriguing indeed."

"Will I still be able to become a mage even if the world I come from doesn't have magic?" Yuna asked.

"Please only speak when I ask you to." Marl instructed. "It is a pain to answer stupid questions, but I shall answer it regardless. When you come from another world the magic here takes some adjusting to, you have to unlearn everything you know and relearned it in this world."

"I don't remember doing that." Elvin said. "I just use the same magic I did in my world."

"It is not something most are aware of." Marl explained. "Let me ask you this elf. Are you as strong as you were in your world? Or perhaps you have some strange conditions you did not have in your world."

"Yes, to both actually." Elvin said. "My magic only works when I am in direct contact with nature, I did not have that limitation in my home. I think my magic is weaker as well."

"That is because your body has not learned this world's magic yet." Marl said. "You are like someone who forgot how to walk, attempting to run. A lot of mages never figure this out and end up perishing to the demon hordes. I am ahead of myself though. In summary, yes the fact you come from a world with no magic is actually an advantage to you, not a handicap."

"Oh, that's good!" Yuna said.

"Quite." Marl said. "Now hush girl and listen. Every human no matter what world they come from has one magical attribute. Fire, water, nature, wind, light, or void, those are the six magical attributes that a person can have. Before we do any training, we must first learn what your attribute is."

"Mine is nature." Elvin said.

"Yes, we are aware." Marl said. "You literally have leaves growing in your hair and green skin. Had you not told me I don't know how I would have figured it out."

"Okay, I will be quiet." Elvin said.

"I'm surprised you didn't chime in as well girl." Marl said with a grin.

"Well you told me not to talk." Yuna sighed.

"Good job girl. You might be a good apprentice after all." Marl said. "The reason we have to know what your attribute is before training is to know what kind of spells you can cast. You can cast spells that are not in your attribute, unless they are in direct opposition to it. Also spells that you cast that are not part of your attribute, will be far weaker than the same spell cast by someone who belongs to that attribute. Do you understand so far, girl?"

"Yes, Master." Yuna said.

"Every good." Marl replied. "Take the elf there for example, she is of a nature type. Nature type mages cannot use fire magic. No matter how hard they try, it just won't happen for them. Fire can't use water. Void can't use light. Light can't use void. Water can't use wind. Still with me girl?"

"Yes, Master." Yuna said. "What is your attribute?"

"Ha!" Marl laughed. "I am glad you asked. Behold the magnificent might of the master of mysticism!" Marl then raised his arms and conjured a large ball of fire several feet above them. The heat could be felt radiating from the sphere. It was as if it was a miniature sun burning above their heads. "Are you impressed?!" Marl asked.

"Yes, Master that is very impressive!" Yuna said.

"Don't be impressed girl!" Marl shouted. "This is nothing! Watch this!"

Marl then focused again causing the red sphere to turn yellow as it heated up. After a few more moments the yellow sphere became white, that was followed by blue. The heat was starting to scorch their skin. Marl then aimed his orb at an open field and launched it. A giant pillar of blue flame erupted forth from the contact point. Followed closely by a shockwave of pressure and heat. The force was so great that it knocked Elvin and Yuna off their feet.

"Now you can be impressed girl." Marl laughed. "Enough about me." He said as the field in the distance is still burning sending plumes of smoke up into the sky. "Let's find out what your attribute is, I can't wait to find out. Let me go get my device!" Marl said cheerfully as he went back inside of his house.

"That was incredible." Yuna said. "In all my years I never thought I would witness anything like that. I loved to watch scenes like that in comics and games, but to actually feel the heat on your skin. It just takes the whole experience up to the next level."

"Marl is quite strong." Elvin said. "I believe that is why the demon hordes stay away from his house."

"Hey, Elvin, what do you think that scroll said?" Yuna asked.

"I haven't the slightest clue." Elvin answered. "If you want to know so badly you should just ask Marl."

"I honestly doubt he would tell me." Yuna responded.

Marl then exited his house with an orb in his hand. "Okay this works a lot like the device in the guild." Marl explained "Only this one will let us know your magical power and your magical attribute."