Yuna Awakens

A few days pass and Elvin maintains her watchful vigil over Marl's house. She was relieved that not once did Marl attempt to do anything to Yuna while she was out. Elvin was extremely tired though, having not slept in days. Elves have the ability to go weeks without sleep, however they still feel the need to sleep and have to combat the urge. Just when she was losing hope that Yuna was ever going to stir from her slumber, she felt Yuna move. Elvin immediately jumped down from her tree and ran to the cabin. She approached the door and knocked. "Marl!" She shouted. "Yuna is moving!"

Marl opened the door. "Oh, if it isn't the elf that's been hanging out in my tree." He said.

"You knew I was up there?" Elvin said.

"I have wards all over the place here." Marl explained. "I know everything that happens for a mile radius around my house. So, do you care to explain why you have been in my tree?"

"I wanted to make sure Yuna was safe." Elvin said.

"Of course, she was safe!" Marl snapped back. "She has been with me! Even the demon lord dares not cross me."

"Well you know, I had to make sure she was safe from you too." Elvin said.

"Oh, is that what you were worried about?" Marl laughed. "I consider myself a gentleman I would never do anything to a passed-out woman. I am saddened that you believed I was that kind of man."

"I am sorry." Elvin apologized. "We girls just have to stick together is all."

"Oh, I understand completely." Marl said. "It never crossed my mind since I know I would have never done anything. You had no way of knowing that."

"We should check on Yuna now." Elvin said. "She is moving more now; I think she is about to wake up."

"I will go get the potions ready." Marl said as he let Elvin into his house. He gathered his potions and the two of them went into his guest room where Yuna was in bed. Yuna slowly opened her eyes as they entered the room.

"Yuna! Your eyes!" Elvin yelled at the sight of Yuna's eyes. Their original color had been replaced by differing shades of purple as if they were part of a nebula in the galaxy.

"What happened?" Yuna said. "Ugh my head." She grabbed her head as she got out of the bed. "Did I pass the test?" Yuna asked.

"You did." Marl said. "You are the first one not to pass out at the very beginning. I have never seen anything like it."

"So, my eyes are different now?" Yuna asked. "Explains what I am seeing."

"What do you see?" Marl asked. "This must be your body's reaction to having its mana completely drained and then externally exposed to it. I would love to know what differences you are experiencing."

"I can see auras?" Yuna said. "I guess that would be a good way of describing it. "Around Elvin there I see a faint green glow that radiates off of her. As for you Master it is as if your body is wrapped inside a towering infernal of flame. It is really hard to describe. I hope I did it in a way you can understand."

"It seems you have gained an ability we call magic sense." Marl explained. "An ability as rare as your attribute."

"What is my attribute anyway?" Yuna asked.

"Void." Elvin told her.

"That's rare?" Yuna asked.

"If you are a mortal, yes. If you are a demon, no." Marl explained. "Yuna are there any other changes you feel?"

"I don't think so." Yuna said. "At least not that I can tell right now." Yuna started to get out of the bed. Her body was still weak from its ordeal. Her legs tried to give way underneath her, but she forced herself to stand. "So, when are you going to teach me some magic?"

"Amazing." Marl said. "You impress me Yuna. You really do." Marl paused for a moment. "I do have some bad news for you though. I know every elemental spell in the book, but when it comes to light magic and void magic I am at a loss. I would say you are probably the only human on this world to have the power of void. Perhaps the only one to have ever had it. That's how rare it is."

"I had no idea." Yuna said.

"Unless you can convince a demon mage to teach you magic, I only see one path ahead for you." Marl said. "You are going to have to create your own magic. I will teach you all of the elemental spells I know, and I am sure Elvin here will teach you her nature spells as well. I can't use water magic myself, but I know the spells."

"Create my own magic?" Yuna pondered that question for a while. She just stared off into the distance while she thought. "If it's the only way, that's what I will do." Her knees were now visibly shaking.

"Oh, right I forgot!" Marl said. "Drink these!" He said as he handed Yuna two vails of blue and red liquid. "They will give you your health and mana back."

"A red and blue potion." Yuna sighed. "Unoriginal but if it does the job, down the hatch."

"I don't know what you mean by unoriginal." Marl said. "But the red potion restores your mana and the blue potion will restore your health, or life force as it were."

"So, the opposite of what I thought." Yuna said. "I guess that's a little better." Yuna said as she drank the potions. She drank the blue on first to regain her life force. As soon as she drank it, she could feel a surge of energy course through her body. Her muscles expanded slightly, and everything felt as it should. "Oh wow, I haven't felt this good since my early twenties." She said. "Ok here goes the red potion." With that Yuna downed the red potion. She felt her body surge with power, something she knew had been missing was restored. "Wow I feel like I could take on the world right now." Yuna then caught a whiff of herself.

"Oh god, I smell so bad." Yuna said. "Master please tell me you have a bath or something nearby."

"I bathe in the nearby river." Marl said. "It is always so relaxing to have my filth washed away by the power of nature. You are welcome to go to the river and bathe."

"You want me to get naked outside?" Yuna said. "Not happening. Master, I am returning to the city to take a bath."

"You really should just use the river." Marl said. "That way we can start your training right away and we won't have to wait. I have some soap right here."

"I said no!" Yuna shouted. As she shouted her voice shook the entire cabin. "Well that's different." She said.

"I would say." Marl said. "So, let's add that to your growing list of additional abilities. That mana really did a number on you. Normally when someone possesses an element, they get burned or waterlogged or just blow away by their own mana. It would seem that void mana changes you in ways we cannot fully understand. Though it would be good if we got to know the extent of your changes before, we started your training."

"I agree." Yuna said. "I am kind of scared of myself right now."

"How about you go back to the city and just live day to day life for a week or two." Marl said. "See if any more surprises arise. When you feel like you have a handle on it come back to me. As for me I will be building a bath behind my cabin. I cannot have my apprentice going to town every day to bathe. It would be most unproductive."

"Okay Master." Yuna said. "I will do as you say. Also thank you for being considerate and building me a bath. Also thank you for calling me by my name."

With that Yuna and Elvin head back to the city. "Are you really okay Yuna?" Elvin asked.

"Yes, I am fine." Yuna replied. "I am sorry I caused you so much stress."

"Don't worry about it." Elvin answered. "I am just glad you survived your ordeal. I can't believe Marl but you through all that."

"Nothing we can do about it now." Yuna said. "All we can do is keep moving forward. Now let us get back to the Stampeding Mongoose!" Yuna said as she started to run. Elvin followed closely behind her and the two of them ran all the way back to the city. As they entered the gates Elvin's green skin reverted back to its alabaster self. She shrank as well, and the leaves fell out of her hair. "Goodbye dependable Elvin." Yuna joked.

"That's not funny you know!" Elvin snapped back.