Outside the Gates

Yuna headed out with Elvin to the city gate. After a bit of traveling they finally reach their destination. "Let's see what this world has to offer." Yuna said as they exited the gate. When Elvin stepped foot on the grass she changed. Her body grew and became more filled out. Her voice became a little deeper as well.

"Ah back in nature." Elvin said. "I do hate being in that city."

"You look different." Yuna said.

"I am different." Elvin replied. "This is my true self. Behold the power of the elves!" Elvin then raised her arm and wines shot forth from the ground. Each vine was covered in thorns leaking some sort of fluid and throughout each vine flowers bloomed. The vines stretched forth and wrapped themselves around a nearby sign. They snapped the sign and then turned it into splinters. Elvin then lowered her arm and the vines retreated back into the ground.

"That was awesome!" Yuna shouted. "I can't believe you have this kind of power."

"That's not all Yuna." Elvin said. "When I am like this, I am not the ditzy elf you knew before. I feel everything around me. I can sense the air and the creatures. And I hear the whispers of the plants. Nothing escapes my vision. When I am like this, I never get lost."

"That is amazing." Yuna said. "Why do you stay in the city? It sounds like it really hampers your abilities."

"Indeed." Elvin said. "Sadly, I am no match for the demon lord. His armies roam the land and I am no match for his elite units. Nor could I protect myself in my sleep when they would most likely attack."

"I guess I never asked about the demon lord." Yuna said. "If he is so powerful why doesn't he attack the city?"

"You can thank the Guild Master for that." Elvin explained. "There are strong magics inside of those city walls. Any demon that comes close will be vaporized in an instant. The drawback is the Guild Master must remain inside the city. He is the catalyst that makes the magic work."

"I had no idea he was so impressive." Yuna said.

"Even he could not stand against the demon lord though." Elvin replied. "All he could do is protect the city and give us other summoned heroes a chance at victory."

"No wonder Peter was so down and out about all of it." Yuna said.

"Be still Yuna." Elvin explained. "I sense demons up ahead. Low level ones, they are no threat to me. Just stay behind me and I will protect you."

"Now who is the dependable one?" Yuna asked with a smile.

"Ha!" Elvin laughed. "You will find I am very dependable in this form. Now prepare yourself darkness approaches."

Yuna got into a battle stance prepared to defend herself. Elvin summoned her vines again and attacked the demons as they came into sight. The vines picked the demons up and wrapped around them. They constricted and moved digging their thorns deep into the demon's bodies. Yuna watched as the light of life left their eyes and the vines carried them back into the ground with them. Yuna then relaxed herself. "You were right. Those poor demons were not your equals." Yuna said.

"Where there are a few more will follow." Elvin said. "We must hurry to our destination."

"Elvin!" Yuna shouted. "What's happening to you?!" Elvin's body continued to change. Her pale white flesh turned to a vibrant green and leaves formed in her hair.

"Oh, this is just me." Elvin said. "The awakening takes time. I will be my true self soon and my power will fully awaken."

"That wasn't your full power?" Yuna asked.

"Not even close." Elvin said. "Now come we mustn't delay."

The girls started to run down the road so that they could make it to the house before any more demon attacks occurred. Yuna was accustomed to running, every day before work she would run three miles, back in her old life. As for Elvin, every step of her bare feet caused the plants beneath her to grow bigger and bloom. They made it to the house without an issue.

Yuna walked up to the door and knocked on it. "Hello is anyone there?" Yuna shouted as she banged on the door. "The Guild Master sent us to talk to you and give you something."

The door opened revealing a tall slender man with long black hair and a pale complexion. Arcane runes glowed on his forehead. He looked straight past Yuna and noticed Elvin standing there in all her glory. "Oh my! A real-life elf!" He said with great excitement walking right past Yuna. "Tell me elf, what brings you to my humble abode?"

"Actually, she is the one sent to find you." Elvin pointed at Yuna. "I am just her friend, helping her out."

The mage turned and finally noticed Yuna standing there. "Well on with it then!" He shouted. "What brought you out of Max's barrier of safety?"

Yuna pulled the scroll out from under her breastplate. "The guild master asked me to deliver this to you." Yuna explained.

"Let's see it then." The mage grabbed the scroll and opened it up. He stood there and read it to himself in silence. When he was done reading, he just stopped and looked toward the city. Finally, he brought his gaze back to Yuna. "Well girl, tell me do you wish to be a mage?"

"I would love that!" Yuna replied. To her, mages were always the coolest class in comics and games. Becoming a mage is something she dreamed about since she was a little girl.

"Consider yourself lucky then!" He said. "I the great and all-powerful master of the mythical arts Marl Lynn Magnus, shall teach you what it takes to become a great and all-powerful mage. You may address me as Master, Great one, Almighty one, Great Master, or the supreme one, during your training."

Yuna bowed to her new teacher. "Yes Master!" She said with excitement.