50. What's The Worst That Could Happen

A week has gone by and I've only brought up the wedding once. The conversation went pretty much like the last.

"Please, Will."

"No."

"She's your mother."

"Not to me."

"She needs your support."

"How many times do I have to say no?"

"I don't want to go alone."

"You're not going at all."

"I'm going, Will. I was invited."

"If you care about me at all, you won't go."

"I do care about you, but I care about Leah too."

"I forbid you to have any involvement in their fucking circus."

"You can't do that Will! I'm an adult. You're not my parent."

"Drop it, Jessi."

"But-"

"Drop it."

"Will-"

"I said fucking drop it."

And that was the end of that. I hate making him upset and angry, so I don't push it any further. In the end, I can't force him to go, but he can't stop me from going. I thought he would cave and agree to come with me by now, but his mind is pretty set. He has no hesitation whatsoever when he talks. I don't know what else I can do to convince him. His opinions are unchangeable once they're set. He's so damn stubborn.

My phone vibrates when I walk out of my Honors Economics class.

From: Leah To: Jessi

Hey Jessi! I desperately need help picking out a dress. Are you available in about two hours?

Will's words ring in my head. I forbid you to have any involvement in their fucking circus. He can't talk to me like that. I'm not a child. I'm not his to decide what to do with. I can be involved in the wedding if I want.

From: Jessi To: Leah

I'd love to help. Where should I meet you?

Helping pick out a dress isn't a big deal. It's not like I convinced Leah to get married. Maybe I can talk to her about Ethan more while we're looking at dresses.

From: Leah To: Jessi

New York Bride & Groom on South Boulevard. Thank you love!

Of course she would be going to one of the best bridal shops in North Carolina. I should go back to the room and change. I quickly text Will just to make sure he's busy today. I think I remember him saying he had to work late.

To: Will From: Jessi

Are you busy tonight? –busy Jessi

He responds immediately.

To: Jessi From: Will

I'm supposed to work all night, but if you need to study or something, I can just stay late tomorrow. –busy Will

Why does he have to be so nice? It makes it so much harder to go behind his back. Although, I'm not really going behind his back; I'm just doing what I would do regardless of what he says. I'm not going to let him control my life. What's the worst that could happen trying on dresses?

To: Will From: Jessi

No, I have a lot of actual studying I need to do tonight. I was just making sure you weren't expecting me over this afternoon. Have fun at work! -Jess