60. I Can't Think On The Spot

Will's POV

Our bedroom. We've been designing our house and I didn't even realize it. This little date just got a lot more personal than I intended. Jessi is a really logical person and was raised in a very traditional family. I don't think she would want to move in with someone she wasn't married to, and that's not happening. I don't want to give her any kind of false hopes. That's not fair of me to do to her.

Jess seems to move past it pretty fast though. We continue talking about the house and plan out the imaginary upstairs before I realize how late it's getting.

"I need to get to work," I say checking my phone. "I'm going to kill Jack for making me come in on a weekend."

"It's fine." She stands on her tiptoes and kisses my cheek. Sure a small gesture has never affected me like it does with Jessi. She has this magnetic pull that I can't put my finger on. I don't know exactly what it is that makes her so special to me. It could be a hundred different things, and maybe it's a combination of all of them. She has no idea the hold she has over me.

"Thank you for taking me here. I didn't know a construction site could be so much fun."

I could have taken her to an open grass field and we would have had a great time. But I have to admit, I was a little nervous about taking her here. It seems like girls like all those classic romantic things, and that's just not really me. But Jessi seems different, like me, and maybe that's why we get along so well.

"Anytime."

I put my hand around her and take one step in the direction of my car before I freeze. A bright blue mustang is pulling up the driveway.

"Shit," I mutter under my breath. Who the fuck comes to a construction site on a Sunday?

"What?" Jessi looks up at me and then follows my eyes to the car. "We should run."

"No," I say tightening my grip on her waist.

I look around the site for any clues I can use to get out of this situation. Lankston Construction is written on one of the signs. It wouldn't make sense for us to be apart of the building team. Two people wouldn't come to a site on a Sunday to do construction by themselves. Howard & Sons Design is written smaller on another sign. We could be designers, and I'm running out of time to think of something better.

"Let's run," Jessi says through clenched teeth. She's terrified of getting in trouble, so I can't mess this up.

"They've already seen my car. Just trust me." I push her towards the approaching car and she hesitantly follows. "Just act like you're supposed to be here and they won't ask you any questions," I whisper to her.

A man about the age of sixty gets out of the drivers seat wearing a brown suit and aviator sunglasses. This is going to be easier than I thought. I was expecting some chipper twenty-five year old that I wouldn't be able to get anything by. I look back at the sign quickly and read Mr. and Mrs. Westfall across the top.

"Mr. Westfall I'm presuming," I say shaking his hand. He seems a little thrown off.

"Umm, yes."

"The project is all on schedule. We were just doing a routine check."

"I'm sorry, who are you?" the guy asks studying my face.

"I'm Ben. I'm part of the design team. We just finished the check and we'll be on our way."

He puts out his hand to stop me.

"Howard is in charge of design."

"Howard was really busy today. I'm one of his sons. He didn't have time to do a check himself, but he's working hard on your house back from his office. Now if you'll excuse us..."