70. What Crawled Up His Ass?

"You have some explaining to do," I say tossing a pillow at Will. He's been off ever since we got here and I can't figure it out.

"Me?" he says in surprise. I can't tell if it's mock surprise or if he truly doesn't think I've been picking up on his strange mood. 

"Yes, you. Start with why you didn't tell my dad you're the reason Madison is getting better."

"I shouldn't take credit for that," he replies rolling his eyes.

"But it's true! She had one of her stranger attacks, went into a room with you, and then came out willing to try treatments. It was you, Will."

He has to see that. He's an idiot if he doesn't, and he's not an idiot.

"I don't want credit for it. You're dad will like me because I helped Madison and not because I'm your boyfriend."

I pause for a second. He really does care a lot about my dad's opinion of him.

"That's not true."

"Yes, it is, and you know it is. Let's just leave it at that."

I sit down on the couch as Will pulls his pajama pants out of his small bag.

"You don't give yourself enough credit."

"Stop, Jessi. We're just going to leave it. End of discussion."

"What's your problem today?" I come right out and ask. It can't just be the thing with Madison. That's no big deal. He's been so moody, especially since lunch, and it's driving me insane. He's almost never like this.

"I don't have a problem." He shrugs and starts unbuckling his belt without any warning. "You asked why I didn't tell your dad about helping with Madison, and I gave you the truth." He continues talking as he changes into his soft plaid pants, and I find myself staring. The normal Will would make some sort of smart-ass comment, but he doesn't.

"You're telling the truth, but you're also leaving important aspects out." Will is a pro at keeping secrets, and that always frightens me. The only slight indication is his mood, and normally it's a lot less noticeable than this. Something must really be weighing on his mind.

"I could be working right now, but I'm here with you. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't lecture me on trust for the twentieth time."

What crawled up his ass?

I try a different approach. "Okay," I simply state. "I'm going to go brush my teeth."

I get up to go to the bathroom but I pause when I see Will's mouth slightly open. He looks at me like he wants to say something, but doesn't. He goes right back to organizing his bag, which doesn't need to be organized at all, and doesn't say a word. I turn and leave the room mimicking his silence and go right to the bathroom.

I spend extra time brushing my teeth twice and making sure to wash every inch of my face. Will was polite at lunch and dinner, as always, but he didn't say much. It was like his mind was elsewhere and I don't know where it is. The only time he seemed like himself was when he was with Madison. Even when I was in the same room he would act strange, but I would sneak peaks at the two of them when I was talking with Dad or one of my other sisters, and he seemed so happy. The rest has been confusing. He normally doesn't get like this, but if he does, he tells me why.

I think I might have some sort of idea... I just didn't want to bring it up. Looks like he's forcing me to.

It's another half an hour later before I leave the bathroom and walk back into the guestroom/my room. Will is lying on his back with both of his hands pressed over his eyes. I carefully walk closer until I'm standing right at the foot of the bed.