31. Unexpected

I hope he likes it. He recognizes the quote, so I hope he understands it. It's one of my favorite quotes and I think it fits perfectly for him. Kira's dad is a jeweler, so I got the ring for a really good price. It's hard to shop for someone who has everything. I've never gotten a gift for a rich person before. The middle class is so much easier to buy for.

I'm still trying to read his expression as he spins the ring around his finger. He has yet to take his eyes off of it. Hopefully it will distract him from whatever was bothering him downstairs. I hope bringing him here wasn't a bad idea. I don't mean to rub my family in his face; I just want to show him that the whole world isn't out to get him. He thinks that everyone is mean and unforgiving because that's all he's ever been around. I'm praying that this whole trip doesn't backfire.

"It's one of my favorite quotes," I say because he's still not talking. "Warhol has some great paintings. I know you're more into illustration and landscape, but he has some pieces that I think would fit under contemporary. I'm not a big fan of pop art, but I still like his paintings." I ramble on waiting for him to look up at me. When he finally does, I almost loose my breath.

His eyes are watery and a shocking bright green. His cheeks are flushed and hair is hanging half in his face. He looks so broken and put together at the same time. I've never seen someone look caught off guard and still so beautiful. I feel exposed under his gaze. It seems like his eyes are looking straight into my mind and reading all my thoughts. It's so intense that I can't look away.

"Ummm... I-I hope you like it," I finally manage to say. "When we get back to campus I can-" I start to ramble off again when he suddenly drops the box on the bed and brings his right hand up to my face and his left behind my back. I don't even have time to think about what's happening before his lips are pressed against mine. It feels like forever since this last happened. Every nerve in my body stands on edge as he moves even closer to me. His hand tangles in my hair and I automatically react. My hands reach behind his head to pull him closer. The room feels like it's a thousand degrees even though Mom refuses to turn up the heat past sixty-eight in the winter. There are a hundred more quotes from artists that I can put on rings if this is the reaction I will get.

Without even realizing it, I gently tug at the ends of his hair and a deep groan comes from the back of his throat. I nearly fall apart at the sound, but he pulls away right after. My subconscious screens at me to kiss him again but I restrain myself. All I want to be is close to him. I feel his breath against my face and his heartbeat against my hand. I slowly feel it slow down as we stay inches apart. I don't want to open my eyes. I feel like that means it's over, and I don't want it to be over.

"Thank you," he says against my cheek. I think he likes it. I think he likes the gift and the kiss. Last time, I remember him saying "I kiss girls all the time. It doesn't mean shit" and I believed him. There's no way he's going to convince me that this doesn't mean anything. I can tell by the way he's breathing and how close he is to me and the look in his eyes. Whether it means as much to him as it does to me, I don't know. But I do know it has to mean something.

"I have something for you," he says pulling away. I finally open my eyes to see his breathtaking smile. "And no arguing." He gets off the bed and walks over to his duffle bag.

"That painting was so much money Will. It can really be used as a birthday and Christmas gift for the next three years." He looks up at me with a fake annoyed face for a second before continuing his search through his bag.

"Well you'll be happy to know that I didn't spend one penny on your gift." He picks up a small box that was in the bottom of his bag and places it into my lap. "The wrapping paper costs more than what's inside."