28. Family

She's taken.

Taken? What's the exact definition of taken? Does that mean we're in a relationship? Does that mean that we're together?

My left hand is tangled in his fingers while my right hand plays with the piece of paper in my pocket. I really have the upper hand in this situation. This may be the only time I do, so I'm going to take full advantage of it.

"I'm going to call him," I say as we walk down the street.

"Yeah okay," he replies sarcastically.

"No really." I hold up the piece of paper and his eyes go wide.

"Why the fuck do you still have that?" He reaches for it but I hold it out to the side.

"I picked it off the table before we left."

"Don't call him."

"It's not like I have a boyfriend."

He doesn't say anything. I desperately want him to contradict my comment. I just want him to say something; anything. I'm your boyfriend. Please. Please.

We walk for another minute in silence before he finally opens his mouth.

"But you could do better than that prick."

You! My subconscious scream. I feel like Will has subtly rejected me enough. I don't need my obnoxious subconscious speaking through me.

"He seemed nice."

"You have a terrible judge of character," he says staring straight ahead. I look down at our still intertwined hands.

"I know."

He understands my underlying message and quickly puts the spot light back on Richard.

"You call him and I'll break your phone."

"You're awfully demanding today."

"Just looking out for you."

Yeah, that's it.

"I'll call him right now," I say taking out my phone. Will stops in the middle of the sidewalk and pulls me to the side.

"Jessi, I swear to God-"

"Let's make a deal." He raises his eyebrows. I don't think he's used to being on this side of the argument. "I'll throw out his number, if you come to my house for Christmas."

He glares at me. Didn't see that one coming did you Mr. Know It All.

"You're forcing me to spend winter break with your family?"

"I'm not forcing anyone to do anything," I say innocently. He ruffles his hair and taps the top of his right foot against the ground while he thinks.

"Fuck... fine. You win." He snatches the paper from my hands and throws it in the nearest trashcan. He's going to get used to compromise if it's the last thing I do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent a few more days on campus before deciding to make the hour-or-so drive home. Avery and Kira both left yesterday and I can only be stuck in a room by myself for so long. Mom said she would come down and pick us up, but Will insisted on driving. He said he enjoys driving, but I think he doesn't want to spend the whole car ride with my Mom. Understandable.  

"Do you have everything?" Will asks when I get into the car.

"I triple checked."

"Of course you did."