ninety - seven - "shepherds' black sheep" - ninety - seven

"When I was a kid, I would wake up every morning in the winter and immediately open the curtains to see if it was snowing. And it usually was. It was Boston. Schools would close. People would hunker down, light candles, and eat everything in the refrigerator. Everyone loves a snow day. Except for one person. My mother. She always said the same thing: "Meredith, surgeons don't get snow days." She was right. We don't. Right after a storm, I would run outside. Whether it was the air or the fresh blanket of snow, it always felt magical or new. But as beautiful as it is, the snow starts to melt. And you're suddenly standing in dirty slush, frozen and unable to feel anything at all. But after enough time, even that disappears. The ground thaws, days get longer, and though you could never imagine it, you start to feel again. It surprises me every time."
-Meredith Grey, S16E15, "Snowblind"

"There's an old joke doctors like to tell. "Hey Doc, it hurts when I go like this." And the doctor says, "Well, don't go like this." It's a lame joke, but it's nonetheless true. As human beings, we can't help but want to follow our instincts. To follow our guts, our primal urges. No matter how much it may hurt. We hold onto hope thinking one small detail, one tiny piece of information will somehow make things right, make it different, make it okay, stop the world from spinning off its axis. When the truth is, there's really no good way to say goodbye."
-Meredith Grey, S16E16, "Leave a Light On"

"Your body contains approximately 35 trillion cells, and every one of them is constantly being pulled down to Earth by gravity. When you're lying down, gravitational forces spread between the thorax, abdomen, and legs. Stand up too fast and blood rushes downward, away from the brain. It causes dizziness or even fainting. It's a minor miracle our cells get anything done at all. Because the human body has to perform even the simplest of tasks under unimaginable pressure. You would think weightlessness is a good thing, but it's not. Because people weren't meant to float. Without gravity, we lose blood volume, bone density, muscle. Without it, we're untethered. So when you feel yourself being pulled towards something, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It may keep you centered. It may keep you safe."
-Meredith Grey, S16E17, "Life on Mars?"

"In 1847, the American Medical Association published its Code of Ethics, in which physicians were encouraged to provide free services to the poor as part of their public duty. Hospitals were meant to be centers to care for the sick and poor. They were meant to be places of refuge, places to heal. But somewhere along the way, that changed. Healthcare became a commodity sold to those who can afford it rather than a physician's dutiful service to the public. It's been said that you haven't lived today until you've done something for someone who can never repay you. But that's easier said than done. Because when your life's a mess, it's hard to be much help to anyone else. I wish I had something more encouraging to say. And if that sounds too hard, well, this might not be the life for you."
-Meredith Grey, S16E18, "Give a Little Bit"

The sound of a slamming door echoed around the small room making Anna flinch with an uneasiness. She sat down near the window, watching the snow fall and cover the town in a beautiful white. It was atleast three feet deep now. Her car was buried. She was stuck here, just another citizen that was trapped inside and advised to take shelter inside due to the rapid falling snow, strong winds, and freezing temperatures. She glanced around the silent apartment, a place that used to be full of love, joy, happy memories, a place she would've once loved to be quarantined inside with her boyfriend; not now. Not anymore. This was the last place she wanted to be now. It wasn't supposed to be like this... this wasn't supposed to happen. She pulled out her cellphone, glancing at the red circle in place of bars. Great, she had no data, no service. Resting her head back against the wall, she closed her eyes and remembered the events of the last few days. So much had changed so quickly, it all felt unreal.