forty - seven - "carter madison grant" - forty - seven

"We've all heard the same. It's one of those things we've learned in seventh grade science class. Adapt or die. Adapting isn't easy, though. You have to fight your competition, fend off their attacks, and sometimes, you have to kill. You do what you need to do to survive. Adapt or die. As many times as we've heard it, the lesson doesn't get easier. Problem is we're human. We want more than just to survive. We want love. We want success. We want to be the best that we can be. So we fight like hell to get those things. Anything else feels like death."
-Meredith Grey, S7E21, "I Will Survive"

"I always said I'd be happier alone. I'd have my work, my friends, but someone in your life all the time? More trouble than it's worth. Apparently, I got over it. There's a reason I said I'd be happy alone. It wasn't cause I thought I'd be happy alone. It was because I thought if I loved someone and then it fell apart, I might not make it. It's easier to be alone. Because what if you learn that you need love and then you don't have it? What if you like it, and lean on it? What if you shape your life around it and then, it falls apart? Can you even survive that kind of pain? Losing love is like organ damage. It's like dying. The only difference is, death ends. This? It could go on forever."
-Meredith Grey, S7E22, "Unaccompanied Minor"

"Even good marriages fail. One minute you're standing on solid ground. The next minute... you're not. And there's always two versions. Yours and theirs. Both versions start the same way, though. Both start with two people falling in love. Nobody gets married thinking it's gonna fail. You think yours is the one that's gonna make it. And so it always comes as a shock. The moment when you realize, it's over. One minute you're standing on solid ground. The next minute, you're not. Do you have what it takes? If your marriage is in trouble, can you weather the storm? When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this together. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don't let go."
-Meredith Grey, S8E1, "Free Falling"

"You're eating cake for breakfast?" April asked Avery, sitting down next to him at the kitchen table as he ate a huge slice of Anna's birthday cake from the previous night. She had a small birthday party to celebrate her seventeenth birthday.

"What?" Avery asked, shoving another forkful into his mouth, "It was just sitting in the fridge and I need all the energy I can get today with Hunt doing the chief resident interviews."

"Hey, there any of that left?" Alex asked, entering the room.

"Top shelf."

"You're both gonna have a sugar crash later." April told them.

"Like drinking five cups of coffee and eating breakfast claws and danishes is any healthier." Alex commented, opening the fridge.

"Morning." Anna came in, shoving Alex away from the fridge to grab a new vial of insulin so she could change her pump site.

"Anna, I've never met someone who actually made their own birthday cake." Avery said, "But I'm glad I did because this is one of the best birthday cake's I have ever eaten."

"Me too." Alex agreed with his mouth full.

"The cakes at the store taste like dye and all artifical. Sure, you can pay a bakery to make one, but why do that when you can make a cake yourself?" Anna took off her pump site and filled a new reservoir full of insulin.

"Hey, kid, make sure you keep Meredith calm. Zola's having her surgery today." Alex reminded her.

"Yeah." Anna nodded, looking around as her pump beeped as it filled the tubing with insulin, "Where's Lexie?"