fifty - four - "dr. stark" - fifty - four

"Dying changes everything. There is the emotional fallout, sure. But there's also the practical stuff. Who's going to do your job? Who's going to take care of your family? The only good thing for you is you don't have to worry about it. People you never knew will be living in your house, working your job. The world just keeps on going. Without you. They say death is hardest on the living. It’s tough to actually say goodbye. Sometimes it’s impossible. You never really stop feeling the loss. It’s what makes things so bitter sweet. We leave little bits of ourselves behind, little reminders. A lifetime of memories, photos, trinkets. Things to remember us by, even when we're gone."
-Meredith Grey, S9E1, "Going, Going, Going"

"I had this memory game when I was a kid. A bunch of cards, face down, in rows. Each card has a picture. You turn one over, look at it, then turn it back over. Then you have to try and remember where its matching card was. Sometimes you have no idea. And other times it shows us exactly what we need to see. The cards seem completely out of order and random. But you keep turning them over... and the more cards you see, you get a sense how everything fits together. This is a place where horrible things happen. You were right to go. You're probably escaping disaster. Look at me. I practically grew up here, and you're right, it's hurt me in ways I'll probably never get over. I have a lot of memories of people. People I've lost forever. But I have a lot of other memories too. This is the place where I fell in love. The place where I found my family. This is where I learned to be a doctor. Where I learned how to take responsibility for someone else's life. And it's the place where I met you. So I figure this place has given me as much as it's taken away from me. I've lived here as much as I've survived here. It just depends on how I look at it. I'm gonna choose to look at it that way, and remember you that way. Hope you're good. Bye."
-Meredith Grey, S9E2, "Remember The Time"

"Surgeons don't compromise. We defy death, we exceed perfection. We operate for seventeen hours straight if we have to. We aren't built to settle, but that doesn't mean we won't. When we follow our hearts, when we choose not to settle, it's funny. Isn't it? A weight lifts, the sun shines a little brighter, and for a brief moment, we find a little peace."
-Meredith Grey, S9E3, "Love The One You're With"

DAY ONE

"You haven't heard anything from them?" Dr. Bailey asked Anna, watching her pace across the first floor of Seattle Grace Mercy West with Zola in her arms.

"No. I haven't. He said they'd call when they landed, but- maybe- maybe he just forgot." Anna tried to keep herself calm, and her thoughts from spiraling, "I mean it was a long flight and they were already both so tired. Meredith just came home from San Francisco and dad and I were dealing with a sick Zola."

"Okay, well, uh," Bailey put her hand on Anna's back, "I'm sure, they're fine. Owen's talking to the police and they'll, uh, figure out where their plane landed. Take a seat, Anna. You need to calm down and take deep breaths."

"Anything?" Alex came over to Bailey and Anna as Jackson and April shook their heads.

"It was probably the weather. Planes have emergency landings all the time." Jackson said, keeping hope that everyone was fine.

"Yeah. All the time." April agreed.

"Anna, have you and Zola eaten anything today?" Dr. Webber stood up, distracting them, "It's almost eleven. You both should eat. Let's go to the cafeteria."

Alex, Bailey, April, and Jackson watched as Owen spoke to police officers while Richard took Anna and Zola to the cafeteria. Callie was distracting herself from the situation and playing with Sofia at the daycare instead.