six - "mcdreamy" - six

"Surgeons are control freaks. With a scalpel in your hand, you feel unstoppable. There's no fear, there's no pain. You're ten-feet tall and bulletproof. And then you leave the OR. And all that perfection, all that beautiful control, just falls to crap. No one likes to lose control, but as a surgeon there's nothing worse. It's a sign of weakness, of not being up to the task. And still there are times when it just gets away from you. When the world stops spinning and you realize that your shiny little scalpel isn't gonna save you. No matter how hard you fight it, you fall. And it's scary as hell. Except, if there's an upside to free-falling, it's the chance you give your friends to catch you."
-Meredith Grey, S2E3, "Make Me Lose Control"

"The key to surviving a surgical internship is denial. We deny that we're tired, we deny that we're scared, we deny how badly we want to succeed. And most importantly, we deny that we're in denial. We only see what we want to see and believe what we want to believe, and it works. We lie to ourselves so much that after a while the lies start to seem like the truth. We deny so much that we can't recognize the truth right in front of our faces. Sometimes reality has a way of sneaking up and biting us in the ass. And when the dam bursts, all you can do is swim. The world of pretend is a cage, not a cocoon. We can only lie to ourselves for so long. We are tired, we are scared, denying it doesn't change the truth. Sooner or later we have to put aside our denial and face the world. Head on, guns blazing. De Nile. It's not just a river in Egypt, it's a freakin' ocean. So how do you keep from drowning in it?"
-Meredith Grey, S2E4, "Deny, Deny, Deny"

"What are you doing here?"

"Your hair's different."

"A lot of things are different."

"It's longer. It's very Russell Crowe."

"What are you doing here? You just pick up and leave everything? Your house, your practice, your friends? You had a life in Manhattan."

"Had. And now you have a girlfriend in Seattle. She seems sweet."

"The ice you're on. Thin."

"She's young. That wide-eyed, he's-a-brain-surgeon thing, but still sweet. Which was what you were going for. The anti-Addison?"

"If you came to try to win me back, forget it."

"I did. I flew across the country to reminisce over wedding photos, get drunk, fall into bed, and make you realize you can't live without me. Relax. Derek, I'm here for work. I'm helming the TTTS case you guys admitted last week and from Richard's briefing-"

"He knew you were coming?"

"He asked me. Didn't he say?"

"No. He didn't."

"Surprise. The hair, though. You know, I've always had a thing for Russell Crowe."

"Anna's sure happy you're back."

"I wish the feeling was mutual."

"It's not."

Derek left the nurse's station and Addison watched her stepdaughter talk with the surgical interns. The interns that were friends with Derek's girlfriend. Interesting.

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~

"What is she doing here?"

"You and I both know she's the best in the field. Bringing Addie out was a business decision, nothing personal."

"Oh, well, what a relief. It's not personal. It is personal to me."

"The workings of my surgical unit don't have any-"