fifty - nine - "heart in a box" - fifty - nine

"Let's say you're standing in an OR staring at an aneurysm that's embedded deep into a patient's frontal lobe. There are three things you'll need to remove it. You'll need confidence. You'll need an 11 blade. And some really good instincts. There are some feelings that refuse to go away. They're little distractions, whispering in your ear. Some things just get under your skin. Try as you might. You can't ignore your instincts. It's like they say. Always follow your intuition."
-Meredith Grey, S9E19, "Can't Fight This Feeling"

"Patients say it all the time: 'Tell me straight up. I just want to know what's going on. Tell me, I can handle it.' We don't dodge your questions because we're mean. We do it because when you say you want the truth, you have no idea what you're talking about. They say the truth will set you free. What the hell do they know? The truth is horrible. Frightening. The truth is more than you can bear. We're supposed to be straight with you, so be careful what you ask for when you walk into a hospital. Because when you find out what's really going on, you may never recover."
-Meredith Grey, S9E20, "She's Killing Me"

"Infections are like sleeping monsters. You can't see them. You can't feel them, but you must do everything in your power to contain them. Because when the monsters wake up, they are out of control. All that time you spent convincing yourself the sleeping monster wasn't real, it was gathering strength. The infection was spreading. The monster's awake now and there's nothing you can do about it."
-Miranda Bailey, S9E21, "Sleeping Monster"

"There's no such thing as magic. As far as we know. And while as surgeons, we study the secrets behind the human body's intricate network of cells, tissues and organs, when things go wrong, horribly, horribly wrong, there are only so many tricks we up on our sleeves to put a body back together. But there is a kind of power, more of a spell really, and when we get it right, it can be pretty damn magical. As surgeons, we are no stranger to the breaks and tears in the human body. In fact, we sacrifice the better part of our twenties learning every possible way to make it whole again. But there are some wounds a surgeon can't repair. Not on our own. It takes a kind of power we just don't have. There's no such thing as magic. Not in the traditional, abracadabra, genie in a bottle kind of way. But there is a magic in knowing that while not everything can be repaired, most everything can be survived."
-Meredith Grey, S9E22, "Do You Believe in Magic?"

"What's going on over there?" Anna asked, holding her cell phone against her shoulder, as she skimmed through a textbook, "I got a notification from a news app that said there was a fire?"

"No, well, yeah. Technically, not a fire at the hospital. A fire outside the hospital. A guy covered in gas lit a cigarette on the ambulance bay," Meredith explained, reading over a electronic patient chart on her tablet.

"Oh, my God." Anna shook her head in disbelief, "Reminds me of when that guy lit a cigarette on an oxygen tank. He lit himself on fire too."

"It's an addiction. People take the risks. They know they can injure themselves, and others, but they do it anyway," Meredith handed the nurse the tablet back after updating her notes.

"How's dad?" Anna flipped through the book, highlighting the most important parts for her exam tomorrow.

"Stuck between two annoying interns who are fighting for a spot in neuro," Meredith smiled at Cristina, who walked alongside her, and pointed at the phone, "It's Anna."

"Oh, Anna. Hi." Cristina took the phone from her, "Did you know- Meredith!"

"It's my phone and I have to go. I have surgery." Meredith said her goodbyes and Anna hung up.