forty - one - "the twisted sisters" - forty - one

"Every cell in the human body regenerates on average every seven years. Like snakes, in our own way we shed our skin. Biologically we are brand new people. We may look the same, we probably do, the change isn't visible at least not in most of us, but we are all changed completely forever. When we say things like "People don't change" it drives scientists crazy. Because change is literally the only constant in all of science. Energy, matter, it's always changing. Morphing. Merging. Growing. Dying. It's the way people try not to change that's unnatural. The way we cling to what things were instead of letting them be what they are. The way we cling to old memories instead of forming new ones. The way we insist on believing, despite every scientific indication, that anything in this lifetime is permanent. Change is constant. How we experience change, that's up to us. It can feel like death, or it can feel like a second chance at life. If we open our fingers, loosen our grips, go with it, it can feel like pure adrenaline. Like at any moment we can have another chance at life. Like at any moment, we can be born all over again."
-Meredith Grey, S7E1, "With You I'm Born Again"

"They say lightning never strikes twice. But that's a myth. It doesn't happen often. Lightning usually gets it right the first time. When you're hit with 30,000 amperes of electricity, you feel it. It can make you forget who you are. It can burn you, blind you, stop your heart and cause massive internal injuries. But for something that happens in only a millisecond, it can change your life forever. Lightning doesn’t often strike twice. It’s a once in a lifetime thing. Even if it feels like the shock is coming over and over again. Eventually the pain will go away, the shock will wear off. And you start to heal yourself. To recover from something you never saw coming. But, sometimes the odds are in your favor. If you’re in just the right place at just the right time you can take a hell of a hit. And still have a shot at surviving."
-Meredith Grey, S7E2, "Shock to the System"

"Most surgeons grew up being freaks. While other kids played outside, we holed up in our rooms memorizing the periodic table, huddling for hours over our junior microscopes, dissecting our first frogs. Imagine how surprised and relieved we were when we grew up and found out there were others out there just as freaky as we were. Same microscopes, same dead frogs, same inexplicable urge to take human beings apart. Nobody chooses to be a freak. Most people don't even realize they're a freak until it's way too late to change it. But no matter how much of a freak you end up being chances are, there's still someone out there for you. Unless, of course, they've already moved on, because when it comes to love even freaks can't wait forever."
-Meredith Grey, S7E3, "Superfreak"

"Meredith went to get something to eat. She should be back soon. Um... I'm sorry I got you shot. By coming out of the office- I didn't listen, and then I got you shot. I... I got you shot. And I just need to say, I am so..."

While waking up, weak and pale faced, Derek was met with a guilt-riden April who was sitting next to his bed.

"April..."

"So sorry."

"Gary Clark came here for me. I gave the order to pull the plug on his wife. I got everyone shot." Derek tried to keep his eyes open, seeing Meredith enter the room, "Hi."

"April, can you give us a minute?" Meredith sat down next to him, holding his hand, "Hi. Do you need more morphine? Are you in any pain?"

"I'm fine. Please, don't let Anna in here. I don't want her to see me like this."

Meredith looked at the door, watching Webber enter the ICU, and close the door behind him. Derek glanced between the two, concerned.

"Derek, we have to tell you something... You've been in and out all day," Meredith started, "Promise me that you'll keep calm and you won't go into cardiac arrest or something. Promise me."