thirteen - "my person" - thirteen

"Human beings need a lot to feel alive. Family. Love. Sex. But we only need one thing to actually be alive. We need a beating heart. When our heart is threatened, we respond in one of two ways. We either run or we attack. There's a scientific term for this. Fight... or flight. It's instinct. We can't control it. Or can we?"
-Meredith Grey, George O'Malley, Izzie Stevens, Cristina Yang, Derek Shepherd, Preston Burke, Addison Montgomery-Shepherd, Alex Karev, Richard Webber, Miranda Bailey, S2E26-S2E27, "Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response & Losing My Religion"

"How bad is it?"

"Uh, GSW to the right shoulder. He's lost a lot of blood."

"Get him to Trauma 1 and keep the blinds closed. Yang's on the floor."

"Hey. Wait. I'm fine."

"Lay down. You lost a lot of blood."

"I'm fine. Let go. I'm fine! I have a patient that I have to go check on."

"No, no. No, you are the patient. Lay down!"

"Dr. Bailey, when did you get here?"

"Page Shepherd."

Right now, in this moment, after all the sudden chaos, Anna didn't care about any law. The ER was packed, blood trails stained the floors, and the medical staff was scrambling. She rushed in, looking around, hurrying towards the trauma rooms. She peeked in through the blinds, before noticing Dr. Bailey and Dr. Webber working on Dr. Burke who was covered in blood.

"Anna?" Dr. Webber was about to complain, but Dr. Bailey stopped him, "Anna, Dr. Shepherd's not answering his pager. You need to find him."

"He's in the OR still." Anna said.

"Run in there. Tell him it's 911." Dr. Bailey instructed her, "Tell him it's Burke."

Anna turned back around and ran through the panicked crowds as fast as she could. She sprinted through the main floor, running up the stairwell, knowing that waiting for the elevator could be life or death for Dr. Burke.

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~

"We should be hearing from Dr. Burke any minute."

"That's what you said half an hour ago."

"Well, whether or not we hear from him, we hit that hour mark, I'm going in to get my heart."

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~

"Dad!" Anna ran into the OR, panting, stopping in front of the sinks, knocking on the window frantically.

"Anna?" Derek asked, scrub nurses and everyone staring at her, confused, "Someone please find out what my daughter wants, now!"

One of the scrub nurses went to check, but Anna just yelled at her dad through the open OR room door, "Dad! It's Dr. Burke! He was shot! Dr. Bailey and the Chief need you in trauma 1!"

In seconds, Dr. Shepherd was instructing someone else to close for him and running alongside his daughter.

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~

"Okay, no exit wound. Entry upper right shoulder. Could be lodged in the spine. Okay, let's roll him over."

"Easy."

"Watch the arm. Easy."

"Dr. Burke?"