fifty - three - "dr. lucy fields" - fifty - three

"Picture this - you've spent the last five years of your residency training to become a surgeon. But those five years suddenly don't matter - the only thing that matters, the only thing between you and the rest of your career is a test in a random hotel, in a random city, with a random examiner asking you random questions. Nervous? You should be. Kindergarten. High school. College. Med school. Residency. It all leads to this moment. Some people can crack under the pressure, others thrive. Either way, there's nothing left to do. No more studying, no more preparing. Like it or not, the moment has arrived. The only thing left for you to do, is show up."
-Meredith Grey, S8E21, "Moment of Truth"

"Carpe diem. How annoying is carpe diem? How are you supposed to plan a life, a career, a family, if you're always carpe-ing the diem? If we all seized every moment of every day, there wouldn't be doctors. Who would sit through Med school? We'd all be too busy, living in the now. Whatever that means. I'll admit that the Romans had a point. You gotta live life. And living means that every morning, when you wake up, you have to choose between seizing what life offers in the moment, and forging ahead, no matter the weather. Or closing the curtains, and shutting out the day."
-Meredith Grey, S8E22, "Let The Bad Times Roll"

"So, there's this bird. Some sort of swallow I think. Every September, thousands of them ditch rainy Seattle to winter in Mexico. These birds aren't dumb. And every year, rounds of people gather around in Seattle to drink beer and watch the flock take off. They call it the Great Migration. I don't know how those birds do it. Travel thousands of miles without getting lost. Banging into windows, being eaten by cats. But every spring, they're always here. I guess they come back to what they know. People say it's pretty cool, watching them go. They say you can actually see the moment when, at some mysterious signal, all at once the birds decide to leave. So maybe I've been missing out. Whatever... there's always next year."
-Meredith Grey, S8E23, "Migration"

"A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That's up to you. The years we spend as surgical residents will be the best and worst of our lives. We will be pushed to our breaking point. This is the starting line. This is our arena. How well we play, that's up to us."
-Richard Webber & Meredith Grey, S8E24, "Flight"

"She started throwing up right after I dropped her off. She's really warm. Maybe I should stay."

Anna grimaced, backing away from Meredith who was holding a sick Zola. Derek stood beside her, trying to help Callie get her on the bus to San Francisco for her oral boards.

"No, babies get sick. It sucks, but it's the disgusting circle of life. We have trained too hard. I have personally put in hours of my life that I will never get back, so you are not failing just because your mommy hormones are all 'Code Orange.'" Callie said, "Go to the airport. Pass your boards."

"My baby is sick." Meredith frowned.

"Well, lucky for her, her father's a doctor. Takes a village. And Zola's village is chock-full of doctors. Okay? She will be fine. Just go. Make me proud." Callie ordered her.

"All right. Mama loves you, Zo. You're my Zozo. I love you. I'll be home soon. Yeah, shh." Meredith rubbed Zola's back, soothing her, as she handed her off to Derek.

"You'll be fine. You don't need luck." Anna waved goodbye as Meredith exited the daycare with her suitcase in hand.

"Hey, Torres, thank you very much. Do you mind looking after her for a minute? I gotta make some calls." Derek asked.