twenty-six - "UNOS" - twenty-six

"In 6500 BC, some guy looked at his sick friend and said, "I have an idea. Why don't I drill a hole in your skull? It'll make you feel better." And thus surgery was born. It takes a certain brand of crazy to come up with an idea like drilling into somebody's skull, but surgeons have always been a confident bunch. We usually know what we're doing and when we don't, we still act like we do. We walk boldly into undiscovered country, plant a flag and start ordering people around. It's invigorating and terrifying. We like to think we're fearless, eager to explore unknown lands and soak up new experiences, but the fact is, we're always terrified. Maybe the terror is part of the attraction. Some people go to horror movies. We cut things open. Dive into dark water. And at the end of the day, isn't that what you'd rather to hear about? If you've got one drink and one friend and 45 minutes. Smooth rides make for boring stories. A little calamity. Now that's worth talking about."
-Meredith Grey, S5E4, "Brave New World"

"I am a rock. I am an island. That's the mantra to pretty much every surgeon that I've ever met. We like to think we're independent. Loners. Mavericks. That all we need to do our jobs is an OR, a scalpel, and a willing body...But the truth is, not even the best of us can do it alone. Surgery, like life, is a team sport...and eventually, you've gotta get off the bench and decide... which team are you batting for. The thing about choosing teams in real life.. It's nothing like it used to be in gym class.. being 1st picked can be terrifying And being chosen last...isn't the worst thing in the world. So we watch from the sidelines...clinging to our isolation...because we know as soon as we let go of the bench...someone comes along and changes the game completely."
-Meredith Grey, S5E5, "There's No 'I' in Team"

"For a surgeon, every patient is a battlefield. They're our terrain. Where we advance, retreat, try to remove all the landmines...And just when you think you've won the battle, made the world safe again. Along comes another landmine. Some wars are never over. Some end in an uneasy truce. Some wars result in complete and total victory. Some wars end with a peace offering. And some wars end in hope... But all these wars are nothing compared to the most frightening war of all. The one you have yet to fight."
-Meredith Grey, S5E6, "Life During Wartime"

The whole let's-take-our-time-and-not-rush-anything was completely thrown out the window one weekend. Derek informed Anna that they were, in fact, moving into Meredith's house. They spent Saturday morning packing boxes and then moved into Meredith's on Sunday afternoon.

"Here's the living room, there's the kitchen, the downstairs bathroom, family room, dining room, let's head upstairs."

The thought that she was now living in Ellis Grey's house, Meredith's childhood home, was weird. Anna had heard a lot about Ellis while spending time with Dr. Webber... and now... she's here, in her home.

And so, Anna was given the room that used to be George's before he moved in with Lexie. Meredith told her she could decorate however she wanted, paint, posters, whatever. It was still weird. And it wasn't like they were 100% comfortable with one another. Anna tried to be happy because her dad was so happy.

She woke up, after spending the first night in her new home, and sat up on her bed. She sighed, looking at the boxes piled up around her room. She could hear commotion downstairs and knew her dad was already awake. She forced herself to get out of bed and get dressed and check her blood sugar.

As Meredith got the orange juice out of the fridge, the drawer full of Anna's insulin made it finally set in. Her boyfriend, and his teenage daughter, were moved in.

"Good morning, honey." Derek greeted Anna, kissing her cheek as usual.

"Good morning." Anna stood awkwardly in the kitchen enterance.