forty - two - "grandinettis" - forty - two

"Biology determines much of the way we live. From the moment we are born, we know how to breathe and eat. As we grow older, new instincts kick in. We become territorial. We learn to compete. We seek shelter. Most important of all: We reproduce. Sometimes biology can turn on us, though. Yeah, biology sucks sometimes. Biology says that we are who we are from birth. That our DNA is set in stone. Unchangeable. Our DNA doesn't account for all of us though, we're human. Life changes us. We develop new traits. Become less territorial. We stop competing. We learn from our mistakes. We face our greatest fears. For better or worse, we find ways to become more than our biology. The risk of course is that we can change too much to the point where we don't recognize ourselves. Finding our way back can be difficult. There's no compass, no map. We just have to close our eyes, take a step, and hope to God we get there."
-Meredith Grey, S7E4, "Can't Fight Biology"

"They train doctors slowly. They watch us practice on frogs and pigs and dead people and then live people. They drill us relentlessly. They raise us like children and eventually they take a cold hard boot and kick us out of the nest. We all want to grow up. We're desperate to get there. Grab all the opportunities we can to live. We're so busy trying to get out of that nest, we don't think about the fact that it's going to be cold out there. Really freaking cold. Because growing up sometimes means leaving people behind. And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone."
-Meredith Grey, S7E5-S7E6, "Almost Grown, These Arms of Mine"

Addison went back to California after Anna started going back to school after a short break. April and Jackson moved into Izzie's old room and Lexie was sleeping on a twin sized mattress in Anna's room after complaining of sleeping in the attic next to boxes of Christmas decorations.

"Morning, Anna."

"Morning."

"Good morning." Anna greeted Kepner and Avery as they came downstairs for breakfast before heading to the hospital.

"You know, I love staying here." Avery said, piling breakfast food on his plate, "You cook and bake constantly. It's like room service 24/7."

"Ha ha." Anna turned down the burner and poured the rest of her homemade pancake batter into the pan.

"Hi." Lexie greeted everyone, going straight to the fridge for orange juice.

"Alex." Anna scolded him, seeing his hand grab a hot pancake from the stack, "Atleast get a plate."

"I'm already done." Alex said, shoving the whole thing into his mouth as she grimaced.

"Oh, look, honey. All of our kids are up." Derek joked, entering the kitchen as Meredith laughed.

"And they drank all of our good coffee." Meredith sighed, digging through the cabinets.

April, Jackson, Alex, and Lexie carpooled to work. As Derek finished gathering papers and putting them into his briefcase, he turned to Anna, "Coming with us today?"

"Uh, no." Anna turned off the stovetop, staring at the stack of pancakes, "I'm just gonna stay here and do homework."

"Anna." Derek was concerned, she's the only one who hasn't been to the hospital since the shooting.

"Dad, I'm fine. I'll be fine. Go. Before you're late."

"Derek," Meredith called out from the living room, "Rounds start soon!"

"Okay." Derek kissed her goodbye, "Love you. Check your blood sugar. Call me if you need something."

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~