sixty - four - "A.N.D" - sixty - four

"You know your tailbone? It used to be a tail. That pink part in the corner of your eye? It used to be a third eyelid. The appendix used to help us digest tough foods. Now, it does nothing. The story of our evolution, is the story of what we leave behind, what we've discarded. Our bodies only hang on to the things we absolutely need. The things we have no longer use for, we give up. We let go. Why does it feel so good to get rid of things? To unload? To let go? Maybe because when we see how little we need to make us survive, it makes us realize how powerful we actually are. To strip down to only what we really need. To hang on to only what we can't do without, what we need. Not just to survive but to thrive."
-Meredith Grey, S10E15, "Throwing it All Away"

"There's a stage you go through during child birth and it's the toughest part. It's called the transition stage. You've been pushing so hard and so long that you're exhausted, spent and there's nothing to show for your effort. During this transition stage, it feels like you can't go on, but it's only because you're very nearly there. Transition is movement from one part of life to a whole new one. And it can feel like one long, scary, dark tunnel. But you have to come out the other side because what's been waiting there might be glorious."
-Meredith Grey, S10E16, "We Gotta Get Out of This Place"

"Do you know who you are? Do you know what's happened to you? Do you want to live this way? All it takes is one person, one patient, one moment to change your life forever. It can change your perspective, color your thinking. One moment that forces you to re-evaluate everything you think you know. Do you know who you are? Do you know what's happened to you? Do you want to live this way? Do you know who you are? Do you know what's happened to you? Do you want to live this way?"
-Cristina Yang, S10E17, "Do You Know?"

"The average person touches their face about 18 times every waking hour. That leaves you susceptible to infection about 100 times a day. Infection has a nasty habit of taking advantage of our every day behaviors. It spreads by touching doors, desks, elevator buttons, pens, sharing cups, even money. All we can do is try our best to prevent it from spreading, because once it's out there, the infection usually wins. It's a known fact that doctors make the worst patients. We ignore our symptoms until we're face down on the ground. We like to think we're different species from our patients, but none of us are invincible. Eventually, we have to face the fact that we're human and that sometimes, even the mightiest of us need help."
-Meredith Grey, S10E18, "You Be Illin'"

"Sissy! Wake up!"

Anna groaned, hearing her bedroom door open, and then Zola climbing on her bed. She rolled over, rubbing her eyes, as Zola poked her face.

"Are you awake?"

"Yes. I'm awake," Anna opened her tired eyes, unable to stay mad at Zola's smiling face, "Why are you up before mom and dad?"

"Mommy's snoring." Zola answered.

Anna picked up her phone and glanced at the time: 4:30am. She sighed, lifting up the covers, patting the spot beside her, "Sleep in here with me Zola."

"Okay." Zola grinned, crawling under the covers, as she got comfortable.

"Go back to sleep." Anna told her, "You're gonna be real grumpy when you have to get up for daycare."

Sure enough, at seven o' clock on the dot, Derek entered the room and woke up Zola which woke up Anna. Anna covered her face with the pillow, blocking out the bright light. Derek picked Zola up, greeting her, "Did you come in here and bug your sister, huh? What time did she come in here, Anna?"

"Four something," Anna's tired mind tried to remember, "She went back to sleep, but kept me up with her moving around. She kicked me in the ribs while she was asleep."