seventy - three - "harper avery foundation" - seventy - three

"Time stops when you’re in the O.R. You step up to the table, you evaluate the patient, you pick up a scalpel, and then you go into a bubble. It’s just you and your surgery and nothing else matters; not time, not pain, not exhaustion, nothing. It happens in real life too. When something big happens, something tragic, you freeze, you retreat into your happy bubble for what seems like a second, until you look up. And suddenly, you realize it's a whole new world. How do you step back into the world? It’s scary. Time stood still and now it’s speeding by. You’re looking for a lifeboat, something to give you hope. But are you really ready to leave your happy little bubble and step back out into the big, blinding, bloody, terrible world? Are you ready to achieve the impossible?"
-Meredith Grey, S11E23, "Time Stops"

"I remember once in school someone saying I came from a broken home. That’s what they used to call it when your parents got divorced, even though getting divorced was the least broken they ever did. When I heard that as a kid, I wondered if broken homes were where broken people lived. It was silly, I mean I was just a little kid. But, to this day I still wonder. You can build a house out of anything, make it as strong as you want, but a home, a home is more fragile than that. A home is made of the people you fill it with and people can be broken, sure, but any surgeon knows what's broken can be mended, what's hurt can be healed, that no matter how dark it gets, the sun's gonna rise again."
-Meredith Grey, S11E24, "She's My Home"

"So you might be thinking, I’ve been here before. This is familiar. This is old hat. Maybe you’re wondering why we are here. But I promise, you are about to find out that everything has changed. I want you to stop and take a closer look at the human body. There's nothing special about it. It's just a body. So why are you here? What's so different? What's changed? My answer is you. The thing's that changed is you. I want you to throw everything you think you know about anatomy out the window and look at this cadaver like you've never seen a human body before. Now pick up your scalpels, place them below the xiphoid process, press firmly, no regrets, and let's begin."
-Meredith Grey, S12E1, "Sledgehammer"

"The body has approximately eleven organ systems, all doing different things at the same time. In order to keep us functioning, or, well, alive, they need one voice, a leader, a master. And in our brains, that job belongs to the pituitary gland. It senses the body's needs before they even arise, working non-stop. The pituitary gland communicates with all of the other glands, telling them when to produce the vital hormones we need to function. It keeps everything running smoothly, in perfect order. There's no denying it. It has the toughest job in the place. It's pretty simple. If the brain's working, the body will listen. Your limbs want to hold you up. Your lungs want to breathe. Your heart wants to beat. But none of them are any good without the brain. The brain keeps everything all together. Like a boss."
-Meredith Grey, S12E2, "Walking Tall"

"The body is a bundle of possibility. Every time we cut one open, we're faced with a series of decisions. Some choices are made for you. But for the most part, surgery is a choose your own adventure. When you're faced with the tough choices, it comes down to you. What can you live with? What can you leave behind? Right or wrong, you have to decide what you're willing to go down fighting for. The choice is yours."
-Meredith Grey, S12E3, "I Choose You"

Owen steps down as chief, Miranda takes his place, Richard is interim chief, and Meredith is now the chief of general surgery. A lot has changed at Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital since Derek's death.

"I'd like to appoint you my general chief of surgery."

"Me?"

"Because you deserve it. Because you can take it. Because I leaned on you and you held me up. You are calm in the center of chaos. You have been since I met you. And I need you. You want it or not?"