twenty-seven - "anaesthesia" - twenty-seven

"If you're a normal person, one of the few things you can count on in life is death. But if you're a surgeon, even that comfort is taken away from you. Surgeons cheat death. We prolong it, we deny it. We stand and defiantly give death the finger. We're born, we live, we die... sometimes not necessarily in that order. We put things to rest, only to have them rise up again. So if death is not the end, what can we count on anymore? Because you sure can't count on anything in life. Life is the most fragile, unstable, unpredictable thing there is. In fact, theres only one thing about life we can be sure of. It ain't over, till it's over."
-Meredith Grey, S5E7, "Rise Up"

"It's intense, what happens in the O.R. when lives are on the line and you're poking at brains like they're silly putty. You form a bond with the surgeons right next to you. An unbreakable, indescribable bond. It's intimate, being tied together like that. Whether you like it or not, whether you like them or not, you become family. The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply... meant to be."
-Meredith Grey, S5E8, "These Ties That Bind"

"When you're little, night time is scary because there are monsters hiding right under the bed. When you get older, the monsters are different. Self doubt, loneliness, regret. And though you may be older and wiser, you still find yourself scared of the dark. Sleep. Its the easiest thing to do. You just close your eyes. But for so many of us, sleep seems out of grasp. We want it, but we don't know how to get it. But once we face our demons, face our fears and turn to each other for help, night time isn't so scary because we realize we aren't all alone in the dark."
-Meredith Grey, S5E9, "In The Midnight Hour"

"My mother called it the greatest and most terrifying moment in her life, standing at the head of the surgical table knowing that the patient's life depends on you and you alone. It's what we all dream about because the first person that gets to fly solo in the OR, kind of a badass. We enter the world alone and we leave it alone. And everything that happens in between, we owe it to our self to find a little company. We need help. We need support. Otherwise we're in it by ourself. Strangers, cut off from each other and we forget just how connect we all are. So instead we choose love. We choose life and for a moment we feel just a little bit less alone."
-Meredith Grey, S5E10, "All By Myself"

Anna was downstairs cooking early in the morning. She had homemade pancakes, scrambled eggs, and sausages all going in three different pans on the oven. Meredith woke up first, smelling the breakfast, and then realized Derek was sleeping beside her. She actually woke up earlier to eat before taking a shower. Derek crawled out of bed a little while after her and pratically slept on his hand at the kitchen table.

"Wow, Anna, Derek wasn't kidding. You know how to cook." Meredith complimented her, she usually skips breakfast all together or throws something frozen into the microwave. Hell, most mornings, she survived on coffee alone.

"Thanks. And, it's actually fun now. This is an actual kitchen and not just some travel supplies like at the trailer," Anna said, eyeing her dad as he snored.

"Izzie was the one who made use of the kitchen. Now, it'll be you." Meredith smiled, "I don't mind. Makes it feel like someone actually lives here."

"Yeah," Anna stood, grabbing her plate, "Not to mention, we didn't have a dishwasher at the trailer."

Meredith woke up Derek and they grabbed their things. Derek laid against the passenger window while Meredith drove. Anna played around on her cell phone while they drove through the Seattle morning commute.