five - "007" - five

"Secrets can't hide in science. Medicine has a way of exposing the lies. Within the walls of the hospital, the truth is stripped bare. How we keep our secrets outside the hospital – well, that's a little different. One thing is certain, whatever it is we're trying to hide; we're never ready for that moment when the truth gets naked. That's the problem with secrets – like misery, they love company. They pile up and up until they take over everything, until you don't have room for anything else, until you're so full of secrets you feel like you're going to burst. The thing people forget is how good it can feel when you finally set secrets free. Whether good or bad, at least they're out in the open, like it or not. And once your secrets are out in the open, you don't have to hide behind them anymore. The problem with secrets is even when you think you're in control, you're not."
-Meredith Grey, S1E9, "Who's Zoomin' Who?"

"To be a good surgeon you have to think like a surgeon. Emotions are messy. Tuck them neatly away and step into a clean sterile room where the procedure is simple. Cut, suture, and close. But sometimes you’re faced with a cut that won't heal. A cut that rips its stitches wide open. They say that practice makes perfect. Theory is– the more you think like a surgeon, the more you become one, the better you get at remaining neutral, clinical, cut, suture, close - the harder it becomes to turn it off. To stop thinking like a surgeon, and remember what it means to think like a human being."
-Meredith Grey, S2E1, "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"

"I have an aunt who whenever she poured anything for you she would say "Say when!" My aunt would say "Say when!" and of course, we never did. We don't say when because there's something about the possibility, of more. More tequila, more love, more anything. More is better. There's something to be said about a glass half full. About knowing when to say when. I think it's a floating line. A barometer of need and desire. It's entirely up to the individual. And depends on what's being poured. Sometimes all we want is a taste. Other times there's no such thing as enough, the glass is bottomless. And all we want, is more."
-Meredith Grey, S2E2, "Enough is Enough (No More Tears)"

Anna and her father made sure to get to the hospital earlier than when all the regular attendings, residents, and interns were scheduled to figure out what was going on with the Chief. After examining his CT results, Derek explained the problem, "You see that right there?"

"Mm-hmm." Dr. Webber examined the scans closer, ushering Anna over so she could see, pointing it out for her.

"It's a tumor, and it's pressing against your optic nerve."

"Is it operable?"

"Oh, definitely. It does have its risks."

"You mean I could lose my sight? Just what I need, a tumor." Richard looked at his scans, studying them, before nodding his head, "All right, Derek, let's see how good you really are."

"All right. I'll put a team together. All my people only."

"And I still want this kept under wraps. The vultures will be circling soon enough."

"Aren't I one of the vultures?"

"Why do you think I want to keep an eye on you? Get going. We're doing this tonight." Richard said, making Anna laugh.

"Right."

Dr. Webber left the room and Derek put his scans away, "Today should be fun."