Chapter 10

America's POV

The look on Maxon's face was absolutely precious.

"You didnt think that I'd leave you alone for a whole day after I was manhandled the past month did you?"

Maxon just stood there smiling then wrapped me in his arms and replied "of course not my dear" and for once, it didn't bother me. I guess after nearly losing him twice, I was thankful to have him in my life, dear or no dear. We walked over to the table and sat down to enjoy our breakfast together. He told me I looked ravishing as a maid and that he may just fire one of his so that I could take her place. I was offended at first before realizing that he would never do that and he only meant that he wanted to stare at me all day.

"Well there will be plenty of time to stare at me later, after all, you'll be doing a lot of staring when I reveal my surprise later."

"Ah yes the surprise, I've never been that fond of surprises, especially yours." He teased "So in that case could you give me a hint."

At that he pouted out his bottom lip and he looked so desperate I couldn't help but laugh.

"All in due time your royal husbandness, here is your next clue, and here are two roses, as promised. Only 8 more to go."

And with that I walked away

Maxon's POV

I watched her walk away then starred at the note in my hand, only 8 roses and at most 8 tasks left.

--Head to find Officer Swisher near the Women's room--

I started walking towards the women's room, and thoughts of America filled my head. Every turn in the palace would do that now, every room, every flower, ever maid or guard. I remember when America had called for me one day while I was in my meeting. I ran down imagining something was terribly wrong only to discover that she just wanted to see me. I hadn't been wearing my suit coat, and my hair was undoubtedly a mess. She smiled either way and let me vent about budget meetings and everything else I wanted to before telling me all about her life before the palace. It was then I had decided the castes had to go. I was still working on it, it was a gradual process. I came to the hall where the women's room was and passed the bench we had sat on and had that very conversation as she rubbed my back, unaware of the scars beneath my shirt. Officer Swisher and Officer Mangine were guarding the women's room although nobody was in there. When I got there the two men glanced at each other before each handing me a note. Officer Mangine then handed me two roses. I didnt have to complete the task if I already had the roses, but I read the note anyways just in case. The first one was a silly drawing she had drawn of us sitting on the bench talking that day, I guess she remembered it to, and permission to enter the women's room. I was suddenly scared as I read the next note, I knew the women's room wasn't empty.

--Task 4--

You've been given two roses before this task because this one will be extremely difficult for you, and humorous for all of us. Let's take a step back in our memories, before the first attack, but after we met. Youll recognize the scene and know exactly what to do. No running away either because Officers Mangine and Swisher will lock the doors behind you, good luck dear

---

I was trembling inside because I had a feeling I knew exactly what was coming, I put on my best smile then walked into the room ready to interview all the selected girls again, except for Celesete.