Chapter 8

America's POV

I had news for Maxon, big news, and I wanted for him to find out in a really fun way. We loved games and playing with each other so I thought this would be cool, plus we needed something to lift our spirits. We had actually been in the hospital for three days before we were released back to our rooms, and we had been told that we had actually been gone for over a month. I guess the rebels had lied more than we thought. Maxon needed this, so I woke up really early and got my maids to help me set up his little scavenger hunt.

Maxon's POV

--you will begin your journey at the spot we first met--

I had asked one of Americas maids if I was allowed to eat today and she said just follow the clues. Since America loved food I highly doubted she would make me skip breakfast so I went to the place where we first met. I knew she meant our bench but I had no idea how I was going to get outside. After we returned security at the castle had been increased and nobody would be allowed outside. I went to the door where she had been arguing with the guards and found three guards stationed there instead of the average two.

"Hello good gentlemen," I greeted "I was wondering if Queen America has been by this morning?"

They nodded their heads in unison.

"Did she by any chance happen to give you a slip of paper, or leave a message behind?"

The guard in the middle held out his gloved hand containing a single white card, but no rose. I opened the card and immediately wrinkled my nose.

-- Task #1 --

Before you head off to a fine meal you'll have to grab the card and the rose. If you look above the door frame you will see a single rose balanced on a wooden plank. Now without a ladder and without asking a guard or maid for any assistance in either getting the rose or bringing something to you, you must collect the rose off the wooded plank. Good luck :)

AMERICA!!!!! Ugh how annoying she was sometimes. How could I do this, I had lived my entire life in the castle with everyone doing everything for me, and that's how the rest of my life would be. She had to be teaching me something in this. Fine. What was I going to do. I thought about climbing up the drapes, but that would look silly and it would be awfully embarrassing for America to come around the corner and see me climbing up the drapes. Immediately a different thought came to mind. I ran up the stairs back to the princes suite and grabbed my slingshot and a bucket of gum balls I kept on my dresser. I ran back downstairs and laid everything, including the first rose, on a table by the door. I apologized to the guards in advance then started shooting the plank.

Boink

Boink

It was working. Slowly but it would work. I sent another gum ball up and saw a flash from behind a door frame a little ways down the hall. I figured it was my imagination so I went back to shooting the wooden plank off the doorframe with month old gum balls to receive a rose and a piece of paper. The thought was so ridiculous I laughed. I finally knocked the plank over and down came the rose, note, and wooden board all landing on a different guards head. I felt sorry for the one on the right who ended up getting hit with the board. I released him of his duties to get some ice. I read the note then turned towards the dining hall clutching the notes, roses, slingshot, and the bucket of gum balls. You never know when they might come in handy.