Chapter 11

America's POV

The look on his face was absolutely priceless. He hid it so well I had to give him credit, but if you truly knew him you'd see how scared he was. When he came in Marlee and I were sitting there laughing. I had invited only the elite because I felt closer to them, and I thought it would make Maxon more comfortable. Plus I wanted to tell them my big surprise. They were all so happy and promised not to tell Maxon. He stood in front of Kriss, Marlee, Natalie, Elise, and I and greeted us just like he had the first day. He went up to Elise who was on the opposite side of the couch and walked her over to the window seat.

Maxon's POV

If I didn't love her so much, I'd kill her. Making me interview the elite? The girls I was closest to? Oh well, at least I'd get a rose out of this. And maybe I can ween more information out of America. I hope it's a good surprise because this isnt worth a bad one. The first girl I asked was Elise. I had never really liked her, but she had ties to New Asia and my dad insisted we keep her.

"Good Morning Lady Elise."

"King Maxon I am not a Lady anymore I am only Elise."

"Elise that's not true, once a lady always a lady, tell me a little bit about after you left the palace?"

"Well it was hard for a couple weeks because my family decided I wasn't worthy if I couldn't marry the prince, but after so many twos kept coming to the door, it was easier for them to come to terms with it."

"Well that is wonderful Elise." We talked for a couple more minutes until I thanked her and had her send Natalie over.

"Good Morning Lady Natalie"

"And to you King Maxon"

"How is your family holding up?"

"They're good, it's still hard to talk about it though." Tears welled up in her eyes and I felt bad for bringing it up. I hadn't felt sad as she left the palace, but that didn't mean I didn't care about her feelings. After we talk I have her send Marlee over

"Oh Maxon how are you!!! I'm so happy you and America made it home safe!!"

I laugh as I say "Thank you Marlee, I just saw Carter in the dining hall, how are you two?"

"Oh Maxon we couldn't be happier, thank you again a million times for letting us work in the palace again, and giving Carter his job back it means the world to us."

"Well I am glad Marlee, well I should invite Kriss over, we will have plenty of time to talk tomorrow, I hear America has invited you and Carter to dinner tomorrow?"

As a sly smile creeps on her face she says yes and runs off to get Kriss. As Kriss walks up to me I feel as if I missed something in Marlee's goodbye.

"Good morning Lady Kriss"

"Morning your highness"

"Kriss you can call me Maxon, you'll soon learn, if not known to you already, that America and I don't like the titles."

She nods then looks out the window for a minute. "It was always her wasn't it, none of us stood a chance."

I look at her in shock, "Kriss, that's not true, you know I liked you, I still do, but America just means more you know that."

"Maxon, do you ever regret your choice, if the rebels hadn't of come do you think you couldve been happy with me?"

"Kriss I-" she turns her attention from the window to me, and not just her attention, before I realize what's happening her lips are on mine a hunger that was never there before. The guards rush up and pull her off dragging her out.

"Watch out Maxon, something big is coming, something you won't be able to handle, it will tear you apart inside, it will hurt her and there will be nothing you can do!!"

America walks over to me and I lace my arm around her, "America darling what's she talking about?"

"I don't know Maxon."

Guards come up to see if I'm okay, and besides a glass of water to rinse out my mouth, I don't need anything.

"America I'm not going to let anyone hurt you, whatever it is she means, I wont ever let you get hurt again."

I lean down to kiss her and she kisses me back, she knows I won't let anything happen to her.

"Well King Maxon," she says breaking away "that was a great way to start my interview."

"Stick with me and there will be plenty more interviews to come."

She laughs before kissing me again and making me feel more sure than ever about my choice.