Chapter 17

Maxon's POV

"Illéa, tonight we have two very big announcements." I began, " To begin, several months ago I started preparing to remove the caste system, and tonight I plan to begin. Over the next week two things will happen to kick off the elimination. The first thing is that the salaries in castes 5-7 will be doubled and people in caste 8 will be given jobs in one of the six castes. The second thing that will happen is that the roles of castes will be stripped away. Fives can now play sports or threes can paint to their hearts desires. The salaries for each job will remain the same except for of. Purse the salary raises in the lower castes. People in the castes will still have labels as a five or three or so on, but the number will be purely for government organization. If this works we will work on eliminating the castes all together. Next Friday if I have reports of a raise of violence or fights in the castes I will place the system back together. This is an opportunity not a necessity, and we hope you do not take it for granted." I pause for a minute to look at the crowd. Everyone seems shocked, but not quite mad. Gavril thanks me as I go to retrieve America from her seat. Gavril talks about the little news in the kingdom as America and I make our way back to the podium. She has changed from a tshirt and sweats to the light blue dress she wore in one of her first months at the palace. You can see her baby bump through it and when we reach the podium the crowd whispers to each other.

"Ladies and Gentlemen" Gavril calls "Please welcome the King and Queen of Illéa as they share a very important announcement with you.

"Thank you Gavril," America states "Illéa's laws state that the King and Queen must have a heir to inherit the throne. Today we found out that our kingdom will not only have one but three royal children. We are expecting one son and two daughters in five months."

The crowd goes wild as America and I hold our hands together in the air. This has become our "symbol" for the country. We saw it in an old movie titled The Hunger Games and thought it was a powerful symbol of unity. We exit back to our thrones as Gavril closes the show. The show closes and Gavril comes over to congratulate us. We thank him and walk back to our room. As we prepare for bed I look around for America and find her on the porch. When I go out to see what she's up to I hear her crying.

America's POV

I heard Maxon come up behind me and felt him begin to rub my back. He kisses my ear and asks what's wrong.

"Maxon" I choke between sobs. I take a deep breath and begin again. " Maxon I'm scared. What if we aren't ready to be parents. I mean it's hard enough taking care of one child but three. Plus a country. I'm not leaving them with a sitter all day every day they need love from their parents, but I also want to care for the country. And what if we are captured again after they're born and this time we don't make it back. They'll be left alone without parents and our little boy will have to take over the country without knowing how, or someone else will. Maxon I'm afraid we won't be good parents."

He hugs be from behind with his lips on the top of my head. I turn in his arms and burrow my head into his chest and cry. He lets me cry while rubbing my back, I can feel he's tense because I'm crying. He lets be cry before answering.

"America I have my doubts to. I mean what if I'm like my father. One day I lose my temper and hurt our son because he isn't doing something right or I strike one of the girls because they're annoying me. That is my greatest fear. We will be there for them and they'll be the three safest children in the country. I know I won't hurt them because I have you America. America I love you because you are the most caring person I have met. You will care for them more than every mother in the country cares for their kids combined and because of that nothing will harm them or us, you won't let it happen."

He always knows what to say. I look up into his eyes and kiss him. Just like our first kiss on the balcony in my room. Our make up one not the original first kiss. He loves me and I love him, and that's all I need to know that we are going to be a wonderful family.