Chapter 3

Maxon's POV

"America wha-" I start before taking in the scene before me.

A guard I don't recognize is grasping America in a tight grip with a gun jammed into her temple. Another guard joins the first and begins gagging America as she screams my name. I begin to step towards them as yet another guard runs up and punches me in the head. I fall to the ground and begin to feel sharp pains in my side. All I hear are the muffled screams of my bride as the world slowly goes black around me.

America's POV

" MAXON!!!!!! MAXON!!!!!! MAX-" I scream at the top of my lungs before a different guard runs over and ties a dirt smothered rag- that most likely hasn't been cleaned since the original American times- around my mouth muffling my screams. Fight America I tell myself, but just before I can kick the guard in the shin I see Maxon crumble and a third guard repeatedly kick him in the sides. I scream his name and as his eyes shut for possibly the last time I fall to my knees in tears. I try to crawl over to him but the first guard holds me tighter.

"Now now sweet America" he coos in my ear "Your king is still alive, barely, but he will live. We have orders to bring him back to our leader alive. As for you.." He loosens his grasp and I know this is my chance, but he knows I will fight so he keeps his grasp just tight enough to hold me until the second guard has control of me. I look over at Maxon, his breathing has slowed and he hasn't moved at all. The first guard comes in front of me and lifts me back onto my feet. He's at least half a foot taller than me. I look around the room knowing that there had to be other guards in the room. The ones that remain standing must be fellow rebels, the rest are slumped on the floor bleeding. The first guard takes my face in his hands. " As for you my dear" Oh how I hated that name, but if Maxon would just wake up I would let him call me that, I would do anything for him. "Our leader never told us what we had to do with you. The other men here and I thought of a few things on our way to the palace today. Would you like to hear them?" I growl the best I can through the rag, and he let's go of my face. " One option is that we take you as bait for the dear king here. No doubt he will need a bit of...persuasion to do what we need him to do. Torture is one of our best skills Another is that we could kill you right here and now. We could always wait until Maxon regains consciousness and kill you in front of him." He laughs at this. My anger is building up inside of me. His hands return to my face and his thumbs start stroking my checks. He removes the gag from my mouth but I am to mad to scream. Nobody would hear me anyways. "Or, and this is probably our favorite one, you come willingly or not so willingly we don't really care, marry our leader who has admired you for quite some time so I hear, and lead our attacks side by side with your new husband. You will still remain queen and after we kill dear Maxon here our leader will become king and together you two can rule the new country." I stared at him with hatred.

"Or," I reply "you let Maxon and I go and leave us and our country alone." I smiled my sweetest smile.

"Oh sweetheart," he replied laughing "take her." He demanded. The remaining guards swarmed around me taking me hostage and blocking my view of Maxon.

"Maxon" I screamed "If you can still hear me, I love you Maxon I love you more then I have ever loved anybody."

"How sweet." the guard replied.

I'm smacked in the head and as the world turns black around me I hear a bang as the palace guards come running into the safe room to save us. The last thing I hear before blacking out is the sound of gunfire, and I hit the cold cellar floor.