Chapter 9

America's POV

"THIS IS SO MUCH FUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed as I ran down the halls, a day to myself without anybody taking advantage of me, worrying about me, or hovering over me. I missed Maxon even though I knew I would see him soon. When I was close to the main hall where the garden doors were I slipped into a room and took a secret passage to a room close by the doors. I heard loud thunks coming from down the hall. I peeked out of the door and saw Maxon using his slingshot to knock the board down. I tried to see what he was hitting it with when Maxon glanced my way and I had to jump back into the room. I breathed heavily hoping my cover hadn't been blown. A few minutes later I heard a crash down the hall and figured be had finally knocked the board down. I waited until I heard his footsteps running past the door then I walked towards the garden doors to see how he had gotten the board. Gum balls? Really Maxon? I guess he hadn't had that much of a childhood, so he was a kid at heart.

Maxon's POV

I had two roses now and 1 task under my belt. I decided to ditch the gum balls at the second location, it hadn't been the smartest way to complete my first task, but hey, it worked. Now I was on my way to the dining hall to see what else I had to do. I looked down at the clue again.

--head to the dining hall the tables all set--

When I reached the dining hall a maid handed me a tray with a single note and a plate of pancakes, sausage, a glass of orange juice, and a smaller plate filled with strawberry tarts. I smiled at the memory of how I had won my first date with America. I sat in my seat, alone in the dining hall except for a redheaded maid who I didn't recognize and some of the palace guards. I opened the note and read what I had to do next.

-- Tasks 2 and 3 --

Remember the first rebel attack at the palace while we were here? The windows shattered and the girls were hysteric with tears. Well one of the guards in this room was there that night, and you have to figure out which one it was by asking them questions. Be cautious, they all know what happened that night, word travels fast in the palace, but only one will know the answer to this question "How many girls asked to go home that night?" The answer is 2 if you had forgotten. Send him to the women's room, he will know what to do.

The next task will be similar, there is only one maid in the room, she is very upset, she's lost her father within the year and still hasn't really gotten over it even though her true love is there for her. Invite her over and if she feels youve handled the situation well, she will give you the note and two roses.

-- Good luck❤ --

This was torture. I wish I could just find the other 10 roses and find America. The suspense of waiting for the surprise was killing me. The guards wouldn't be to difficult. I had just narrowed 35 girls down to one bride, I could handle 7 guards. The maid was going to be difficult though, the might start crying!! Than what would I do? I decided to start with the guards, the first one I went up to proved my task harder than I thought. He was older for a guard, nearing the age of 35 by the looks of it. I asked his name and he relied with Officer Robert.

"Officer Robert, do you remember the first rebel attack that the girls were here?"
"Sorry King Maxon, but I can hardly remember what I ate off my plate this morning, let alone a single rebel attack."
"They were Northern Rebels if that helps, some girls asked to go home that night and I can't remember how many there were, you see America is curious and very stubborn, if she doesn't get her answer, I'll be in trouble." The maid walked by just than and accidentally kicked my leg as she walked. She tripped and mumbled a quick apology as she left. I was shocked out how hard she had kicked me just walking.
"Well King-"
"Maxon is just fine sir, America and I don't need constant reminders of the titles"
"Well Maxon I'm sorry for your dilemma, but I don't recall that night, or any other attack for that matter, they all blend together after a while."
"Thank you anyways Officer Meier"

I had three conversations just like that -except for the maid tripping although she did seem to follow me from guard to guard- with no luck. On the 6th guard I finally found a helpful answer.

"Officer Woodwork!" I exclaimed, excited for a familiar face.
"Good morning King Maxon, how may I assist you today."
"Carter Marlee and America have both told you that Maxon will be fine, we don't need reminders of the titles."
"My apologies Maxon, its a hard habit to break after working for your father all these years."
"No issues Carter. As you might know America has a surprise for me today and she has sent me on this hunt today for me to earn it. I don't suppose you were in duty in the dining hall the first attack while the girls were here?"
"I wasn't sir, I was down the hall that night, but Officer Swisher standing over there was guarding Lady Kris's that night, he might have the answer you are looking for."

I thanked him then went of over to Officer Swisher the last guard I hadn't spoken to. He had been on duty and knew that two of the girls had asked that night to head home. I thanked him then gave him Americas directions, although he didn't seem to need them. I then went over to the maid to ask her to enjoy breakfast with me. I tapped her on the shoulder and said "Miss, would you care to partake in breakfast with me this morning?"

She turned around with a huge loving smile on her face, and when I saw who she was, I smiled even wider.