Chapter 4

America's POV

I woke with a start when the truck raced over a large bump in the road. I was leaning against something warm and soft, no not something, someone. Maxon, my heart screamed, I turned around preparing to kiss him but found instead one of the rebels. Maxon wasn't in this truck. My heart began to beat just a little but faster. Was Maxon okay? Had they killed him yet? What are they doing to him? All these questions and more raced through my head. I was even more depressed thinking that there was nothing I could do to save him. After the guards had come running I had blacked out, but after a little bit I gained consciousness. The rebels were to fast for the guards and we had been taken hostage. As one of the guards carried me out to the truck I fell under once again.

"Pst, psst, your majesty"

Who was that?

" Your majesty come here."

I looked towards the voice and I saw somebody who I never thought I would've seen again. Sitting against the wall was officer Woodwork, Marlee's husband.

"Carter, is that you" I whispered.

"Yes. Now listen very carefully. I am not a rebel, I am here to save you and Maxon. The trucks will be stoping in five minutes to change drivers and to move you and the king into one truck. I am assigned to drive that truck and no other guards were assigned. Once the other truck has left we are suppose to wait ten minutes for the leader to join me and take you and king Maxon back to his house. Instead I am going to get us out of there. There is a tracking device on the truck so we will have to walk back." The truck stops and I hear a shuffling in the front. " Pass out America, you're not suppose to be awake."

I slump over just as the doors to the truck open. The guard behind me wakes up at the sound and begins to pick me up to place me in the other truck. I hear the guards exchanging rules as I am placed in the back of the second truck, with Maxon. Carter comes over and closes the door. I shake Maxon until he wakes up.

"America" he whispers. He tries to kiss me but I stop him before he can.

"Now isn't the time, Carter has a plan to help us escape, just follow our lead." He nods silently and we wait for Carter to come get us.

Maxon's POV

She's here! Thank goodness I thought I had lost her. After I blacked out I hadn't heard or seen anything until she shook me awake. I had tried to kiss her but she told me we had been taken hostage and that she had a plan to escape. That was my America. She was always saving me, and I was always getting hurt. The last time she had saved me was the day my parents died. I had almost chosen Kriss, but the rebel attack that killed my parents saved me from making the wrong choice. Had America made the wrong choice? Should she have chosen Aspen? Neither of us had seen him yesterday after the wedding, he had left with Lucy right after the reception.

"Ready your majesties?" Carter asked.

We nodded in agreement then climbed out of the truck. America fell as soon as she hit the ground.

"America whats wrong" I asked bending down to pick her up.

"My ankle, Maxon my ankle I think it's swollen." Sure enough her ankle was swollen.

"I'll just have to carry you home then my dear."

"Your majesty," Carter warned "we have been driving for a good amount of time, it's almost 20 miles back to the palace"

I looked at America with concern. We couldn't take the truck that would be to obvious and they probably had a tracking device on it. We had no choice.

"We have no choice, let's go." America smiled at me as we started to walk. She was a lot lighter when she wasn't wearing 20 pounds of ball gown. That fact brought me to the realization that I didn't have a shirt on, and she was just in her nightgown. We would freeze before we made it back.

"Maxon what's wrong?" she asked me. I looked at her and plastered a fake smile on my face.

"Nothing my dear, nothing is wrong. We are on our way home, and I have my America in my arms once again. " She leaned up and kissed me.

We had been walking for about 10 minutes when noises behind us caused us to hide. We bent down behind a tree peeking out when we heard the voices. Rebels.

"They have to be here, I can smell her perfume." said one of the guards.

Carter took out his gun and shot them both in the shoulder causing them to yell and run back towards the truck. We thought we were saved until America screamed from where I had set her down. I turned around and saw a man in black pulling her away before someone slipped a bag over my head and was carried off with America to who knows where.