Chapter 6

America's POV

I was in a bed. My bed in the palace. Not my bed, our bed. Maxon was there with me, he had his arms wrapped around me. He sits up and put his lips to my ear.

"Good morning my dear." He whispers.

I smile and turn around. There he is, my Maxon. I wrap my arms around him and he flinches but then relaxes as I touch the scars on his back. We lay there just like that for a moment before he kisses me, hard. I lean into the kiss asking for more and he gives it to me. We kiss like that for a minute before on of the guards barges in and my dream dissolves around me.

Maxon's POV

I love her I tell myself. I will love her. Nothing I do can make me love Kriss more than I love America. Aspen comes into my cell a minute later.

"Where's America" I demand "And why are you here, what happened to Lucy?"

"Well why dont you take a seat and I will tell you everything, your majesty" he answers.

He bows as he says the last part and then a guard walks in with two stools. I could take him out now. Are you crazy, he's been training for the past 6 months to be a guard and training even harder to get his leg strength back. Now I know why.

"You're a rebel aren't you?" I ask

He sits down on one of the stools then waits for me to do the same. Once I do he starts talking.

"I've known for months that she had chosen you. When I found out I got mad and ran away from the palace for a few days. I had time saved up I thought I'd just say that's where I was. This was before the selection ended, right after you told her she could stay. I saw it in her eyes, she didn't love me anymore. I ran and ran until the rebels caught me. They took me to see the leader and after a while they had convinced me to join them, to join their rebellion. At first I was appalled. I still loved America and if I couldnt help her I still wanted to protect her. We worked out a deal and I went back to the palace, nobody even realized I was a rebel."

"Great backstory, now what happened to Lucy and where is America?" I say sarcasm dripping in the first words.

"Be patient. Now when I got back to the palace I realized Lucy had fallen madly in love with me. I asked her out took her on a few dates and earned her complete trust. After your wedding I told her I would take her to my home to meet my family. She was over joyed and followed me willingly. We snuck out and I blindfolded her so she wouldn't know where we were headed. When we got there she knew right away and tried to run. I caught her and killed her there on the spot. I then went and found the leader. I killed him therefore becoming the new leader. I ordered an attack on the palace and the rest is history."

"How long have we been here," I ask.

"About a week" he said.

That's it I knew it. America didn't love him. She couldn't have fallen for him, he was a murderer. We had been gone for a week and I could tell from how Aspen spoke that he wasn't getting anywhere with her. She really did love me. I wouldn't let her down. I was going to fight.

"Aspen, America is yours, you heard me out there I'm going back for Kriss. Let me go and I will do whatever you want, just please don't hurt her, and please let me say goodbye."

He thought it over before agreeing.