Chapter 13

Maxon's POV

I had so much fun making dinner for America. The chefs taught me how to chop the lettuce and make the dough for the strawberry tarts. As the salad was chilling and the pastries were baking I went up to the roof. Sylvia was there waiting for me and curtsied as I climbed up the steps.

"Sylvia, in the months since I've become King I've told you 87 times not to bow to me. America has been queen for just over a month and she's told you 8 times in the night we got married and last night not to bow to her. Please stop bowing it really isn't necessary. "

"Of course your majesty. Now we already have the lights set up and the table and chairs as well as the vase set up, but we have no table cloth, no utensils, no plates, no music, it's a disaster she will be here in an hour!"

"White table cloth, the nicest set of utensils we own, salad plates and dessert plates, the string quartet if possible and if not don't bother, and Sylvia, calm down. America would not have asked you to do this if she thought you couldn't. Shes making a big deal out of this surprise so it must be important for both of us."

"Of course. Now no offense sir but you look like a mess. The food will be delivered in 50 minutes and I expect you to be there with it. America will be here at 5 o'clock on the dot. Do not be late."

"Yes Sylvia."

I turned and walked down towards the King and Queens suite. I reach the door and open it to the sweet sounds of Americas voice and the shower faucet running. I inch towards the bathroom door trying to place the song she is singing. It's an older song that only fives would bother to learn. She is constantly mindlessly humming or singing short versus of it, so much so that I have started to memorize the lyrics and it's now one of my favorites. I leave the room and find the nearest maid. I tell her to take a song recommendation to Sylvia.

The maid nods and scurries off. She looks so much like Lucy, but I know she isnt, Lucy is dead. She died because she trusted the wrong man, we all did. It's been eating me alive all day about what Kriss said earlier. Whatever she's planning to do to America, I won't let it happen. I walk down to the princes suite where I've spent my whole life. I open the doors and there's nothing left. A plain bed with plain white washed walls. My pictures and everything I owned are in the king and queens suite now. I walk towards the closet and I'm thankful to find that some of my clothes are still there, and my bathroom hasn't been touched yet either. I run the shower water and wash all the bad thoughts away. I'm clean and ready at twenty minutes to 5. I walk towards the roof entrance and remember the time America and I danced up there in the rain. When we came down the stairs my father yelled at us and blamed her even though it was clearly my fault. I decided this room needed to bring back a happier memory for her. I ran down the hall to the "party" room where there were a whole bunch of party stuff and the shipment of fresh flowers we get every week just in case. I grab a whole bunch of rose petals and a box of candles. I look at the clock. 10 minutes. I rush down to the room where the roof steps are. Sylvia is there looking mad but I ignore her and set to work. When she sees what I'm doing she jumps in and helps. The rose petals leave a trail from the door to the ladder and the candles line the roses. 5 minutes left. I run up the steps and step out to the roof. I wait at the top to help America up. When she gets there I see how excited she is to be on the roof, where we kissed in the rain.

America's POV

This was the place. It was the roof where I decided I loved Maxon. Not where I decided, but where I knew 100% that I was in love with him. We ate dinner and just talked, we hadn't talked about nothing for a long time. It was nice. He even had the orchestra play my favorite song, A Thousand Years, and that's when I knew I had to tell him.

"Maxon" I said after a short but not awkward silence

"Yes my dear"

"Maxon don't start this is serious"

"America what's wrong" he looked so concerned I felt so bad

"No Maxon nothings wrong, I'm, well you see well," He was looking at me with his big chocolate brown eyes. I listened to the song as the chorus played, I took a breath breathing in the words when a gun sounded and I felt blood leaking out of the front of my dress. I heard Maxon yelling before the beautiful twinkling lights stopped dead around me.