Chapter 20

America's POV

I look at the calendar on the wall. It's September 1st. I'm 21 years old, and Maxon is 22 but he wasn't awake for his birthday. The children are due in just over two months and I'm afraid he won't be there for it. I've been running the country the best I can but it's hard. I have help of course, but even still it's hard to function knowing my true love could possibly be dead. Every night I eat dinner with him. I eat as I hold his hand and tell him about my day. People say that people in a coma can hear you and I hope that's true. I've planned names for the babies, and as far as I can tell he likes them. For our son I was thinking Ruben Clarkson Schreave and for the girls I was thinking Anne Caroline Schreave and Lindsay Amberly Schreave. I've told Maxon this but of course he hasn't replied. I'm scared he won't wake up, but I believe he won't let me down.

Maxon's POV

If ever given a choice to be in a coma or to live your life chose the life. Being in a coma really opens your eyes to how much you miss. America comes in every day and tells me about her day. The country is soaring with the castes disappearing. When I wake up I'll move on to the next step. Kriss and Aspen are under close watch and the guards are cracking down on each other looking for traitors. She's waiting for me to decide what to do with Kriss and Aspen. She's picked out baby names that I love. Ruben will be a great ruler and the girls will each find love, we won't sell them off. She says the reports been boring, and that her family has moved in to help with her work. I don't know how long I've been out but America says Marlee is preparing for her twins so it must be getting close to the end of the year. I might be 22 but who knows. As America talks tonight I zone out into a dark room. I'm alive and healthy, but alone in a dark room. In each hand I have a light. Not knowing what to do I through each light in a different direction. On light expands and forms an old wooden door but the other expands into just a bright light. The light is really welcoming but the door feels safer. I have a feeling that my choice here is life or death. I want life but which choice is the life choice?