Chapter 18

Maxon's POV

That night I fell asleep quickly. I dreamed of our wedding night. That morning I woke up to early. The sun hadn't even risen and the clock read three am, but I couldn't fall back asleep. The calendar read February 7th. I got up and went out to the balcony. The stars were out and the streets in the town were silent. The dream switched to where I was now standing in the middle of a party, our reception party. Everyone was staring at me in horror and some where running screaming. I looked down at the floor and almost fell back in shock. On the floor bleeding around me were three little kids. Two girls wearing matching purple dresses were slumped together. They were exactly alike from the strawberry blonde hair to the cold dead brown eyes. I turned next to them was a boy who hd the same color hair as the girls but blue eyes. America was holding his head in her lap sobbing and repeating "I'm so sorry" again and again. I felt a hand on my back and turned. I saw my father and immediately tensed up.

"Maxon," He said "You have finally done something to make me proud."

I woke up drenched in sweat. I checked the clock and was relieved to see it was already six am. I got ready for the day and set to work. I signed laws went to meetings, and helped America with her work. No matter how hard I tried to concentrate on my work I couldn't. That dream last night really shook me up. I was really afraid I was going to turn out like my dad. He acted like he loved this country and acted like he loved my mom and I but he didn't know what love was. When my selection came the only advice he gave me was to pick the one that would sit by and let me run the country. My mom was the one who taught me to love. America is so much like her. My mom was strong and caring, and she loved passionately. She truly loved my father, I wish he had returned that love back. As I sat through a meeting with the advisors I thought through what I had done to show America I love her. Nothing really. I told her I was going back for Kriss, I got her pregnant without asking if she was ready for children. I was always there for her, but did she know I loved her? I was going to change that. After the kids were born I would take her on a proper honeymoon.

"Meetings over." I said. They all looked at me. "I'm sorry I'm just not focused today. Let's reschedule for later this week. I walked out and headed to the garden. I had to have guards with me but I didn't care. I needed to get myself back together. I wasn't my father, America knew that as well as the country, but I was the only one who didn't. I sat on the bench where America and I first met and put my face in my hands.

"Hello your highness" said a voice behind me. I turned around and there stood Kriss and the three guards that had followed me out. " You know you really need to look more closely at your guards."

"Kriss, what are you doing here."

"Maxon, you know what I'm doing here. You couldn't possibly think that little trick on the roof was the entire plan. We knew America would be pregnant soon enough and once we found out she was we set our plan into action. Hurt America just enough to fool you into thinking you were safe. Plant information to fool your little northern rebels into giving you false facts. Then get you alone to kill you and take over the kingdom."

I thought back to what Georgia and August had told us the day after the baby announcement. They said that the southern rebels had started to separate into the castes and live a normal life. They were becoming loyal citizens because they knew the castes were disappearing soon.

"Aspen and I are not southern rebels. Well we are, but we no longer have the same goal. We don't want the castes system to disappear. We want you to. The royal family has ruled long enough and it's time we take over. If you had chosen me it would have been a lot easier. Wait until we had a child then I would have killed you while you slept and Aspen and I would've easily taken over. Now that you chose America we had to get creative. Bring her here."

"Dont touch her." I growled. I heard the door open and saw America struggling in Aspens arms.

"Nice work Maxon" He said. "I thought we'd have to wait months to hear news of a heir, but you two work fast."

"ASPEN LET GO OF ME" Amerirca screamed.

He set her down next to me but didn't let her go. She struggled trying to get to me and I stepped forward to grab her but one of Kriss' guards grabbed me. Aspen leaned into Americas ear and whispered something that made her stop cold before he began kissing her neck and her arm while still holding her. She twisted her face but didn't struggle.

"Aspen stop there's no need for that." Kriss stated. One of her guards went over to grab America and Aspen went over to Kriss placing his arm around her waist. "You see your highnesses, the whole time you were worried about Marlee and her guard, you should've been worried about me and mine. Together we fooled everyone in the palace and all the southern rebels. I'm sure we an take out two royals and over throw the government. Any last words?

"Yes." I said. " You can hurt me all you want, you can save America until she has the kids than kill her, but nobody will ever listen to you."

"Exactly, " America said "You can take over the country but not without a fight."

"Aw how sweet. Well Maxon was right about one thing," Aspen started "America you're going to come with us just like I said, without fighting, until you give birth to those kids. Then we will kill you and teach them to run the country under our rule. Maxon, well say goodbye to America." I broke free of the guards grasp and punched him I the face then kicked Americas guard to the ground. I told America to run and get the guards. She ran inside but Kriss' final guard chased after her. I turned back to face Kriss and Aspen who both had guns pointed at me.

"Goodbye Maxon" They said. I heard the sound of gunfire and hit the ground hard.

......HAPPY BDAY AMERICA......