Chapter 2

America's POV

I woke in the morning to the sound of the rebel alarm blaring. Maxon sprang to life next to me. I wondered how many times he had been forced awake by rebels threatening his life.

"AMERICA WAKE UP!" He screams.

I could hear the worry in his voice even though he knew I was right there. All my life I had dreamed of meeting the one. The one person who would care for me more than himself, who would take a bullet for me if he had to. I never imagined that the one would be the prince, or that he would be in harms way of bullets on a routine basis. Guards came storming into our room, well Maxon's room that we had shared that night, ushering us towards the hidden stairs located behind Maxon's bookcase. Maxon's hand was gripping mine the entire way down the stairs. As we reached the bottom I slipped and twisted my ankle. Maxon picked me up without a moment of hesitance and ran towards the safe room. Only once we were there did my mind finally start to calm down and process everything that had happened in the past few hours.

Maxon and I had danced all night surrounded by our closest family, dearest friends, and hundreds of strangers. Somewhere around 2 o,clock the last people had returned home and Maxon and I were free to return to his room. I had changed into my nightgown and stripped the makeup from my face in the bathroom as he changed and waited patiently outside the door. The moment I stepped out he picked me up and carried me over to his bed. I had never been happier in my life. He was finally mine and I didn't have to share him with anybody. At some point as I laid wrapped in his arms I had fallen asleep but not before hearing Maxon whisper how much he loved me into my ear.

"America my darling are you alright, how is your ankle?" Maxon asked shaking me from my day dream.

"It's fine. Nothing that can't be fixed. How are you, you look as if the whole world is crashing down around you?"

"I am fine my dear nothing to worry about." He answered, and then he started laughing.

"What, Maxon what is so funny?" I asked. I tried not to laugh but his laugh was contagious. I might not make it but I couldn't understand what he was laughing at.

"We have absolutely no luck do we? Every time something good happens, and last night would definitely qualify as something good, something bad always has to happen. Our first night together as a married couple and the rebels attack pulling us apart in the early hours so that we are forced down to the dreary cellar for who knows how long"

"Oh Maxon. True when you put it that way it sounds as if we have no luck, but every story has two sides. We aren't locked in a dreary cellar for who knows how long, we are alone, except for a few guards, for an ample amount of time to do whatever we want." As I say the last few words I step closer and pull in towards me slowly. His bare chest close to me and our faces inches apart. At this point he smiles and replies.

"America how did I ever get so lucky to end up with you, the perfect girl, in my selection."

At this point he pulls my face closer to him and our lips lock together with a fierce passion. The world stops spinning and it is only me and him on the planet. We smile into each others lips as we move only millimeters apart to breathe. We stay together locked like this for what could have been forever. The only thing that could have ruined this moment was if one of the rebels had snuck in as a guard and yanked me out of Maxon's arms pointing a gun in my temple. Which was exactly what happened.