"Not in scrubs," Sarah added. "We appreciate scrubs."

Kara shot her a look — this comment indeed had a history, but we would get to that later. She gave me a hug, wrapping her tiny arms around my neck. "Came to see you."

"You brought Max!" She said, unlooping her arms, and went outside to check on Max. Shooting Sarah a look, I followed Kara out. "Long time no see, boy," she said to Max, who was busy licking her hand to show his gratitude. "You should take him out more often."

"I might bring him to our Somerville trip," I blurted out. It was totally out of order, and inappropriate, but I just couldn't help it. Kara's eyes landed on me in shock; her lips opened to say something but remained agape.

She let out a breathy laugh, leaning against Max's colossal body. "Our what?"

"I was planning to ask you about it. I think a weekend trip will be good for us—for Sophie. She hasn't been anywhere but in Boston, right? She can enjoy the trip, and we would spend more time together—now that we are a couple."

"You're the worst at asking out, you know that, right?" I shrugged, anxiously anticipating her answer. If she rejected me, I didn't have a solid comeback to convince her, so I wished she accepted it. "When exactly?"

"Next weekend? Or whenever it works for you. Really. I'm all yours."

"I'll consider it." I pouted. "Don't puppy face me, Austin."

I beamed at her as she continued to play with Max, sitting on the sidewalks. My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I pulled it out, expecting another prank from the groom. However, it was from Mila — which sent chills through my spine. I peeked at Kara as if she could read my screen and clicked on the message in a hurry.

It was a picture of a plane ticket to Boston dated next Saturday morning. Oh, shit. Then, another text followed: Can't wait to see you, brother.

"What's that?" Kara asked suddenly, taking me by surprise. "You went pale."

"Oh, nothing." I forced a smile. I was going to make this work. I could tell Mila that I was out of town that weekend and ask her to postpone her flight. I leaned and untied Max. "We'd better go." Kara pouted this time, extending me her hand for a lift. "Just think about it and say yes, alright?"

That made her smile. I couldn't help but imagine how Kara's face would look if she learned Mila was coming to the town. Just like how she looked at me when we first met. Horrified, panicked. I didn't want to see her like that — ever let her feel that way again. However, it was my sister on the other end. I couldn't avoid her forever. Could I distract Mila successfully so that she would actually never encounter Kara? I could tell Kara that I was going out of town for a conference and taking a week off from work.

"Okay," Kara said as we hugged again. I buried my face into her hair. "I'll tell you my decision soon."

"Great. Don't keep this old chap hanging."

As we parted, I took my phone out again and texted Mila: I have a conference next weekend.

That's fine. I can Airbnb nearby and move to you on Monday. It's my only free week in forever, Austin, don't make me postpone it.

Besides, I can't wait to meet that woman you've been talking about.

We broke up a few weeks ago.

Oh, damn. Don't worry, brother, I got you. You're better off single. ;)

How blind could I possibly be not to understand Mila's motives? It's always been there. She didn't even ask why I broke up — she never wanted me with a woman, to begin with. I needed to find a way to ensure Mila and Kara never encountered each other during this visit. Now that I knew their past, I didn't know how to protect Kara from her — or Sophie. She didn't know about her existence.

I remembered she mentioned Lucas a few calls ago, saying she'd run into him and had a conversation. What if Mila told Lucas about her daughter? It wasn't hard to put two and two and figure out whose daughter Sophie could be. Even the doubt would be disastrous on Kara's part.

I could tell Kara about this, and we would make a plan together. But what if she panicked and backed away? It wouldn't be the first time. No, she should never know about Mila's visit. I took a deep breath and shut my eyes. I had to make this work alone.

Hello!

So, can you spot the iceberg? Will this ship sink or sail? What is our ship's name, by the way? Kustin? Ausra? I'm open to any suggestions!

Can you drop here an emoji if you're reading this line? 

I just want to engage with everyone, so comments mean a lot to me. Please don't be a silent reader and share your thoughts with me.

See you next,

Sev xx

PS. Here's a collage I made a few days ago. Just dropping it here:

 Just dropping it here: