• 139 •

Shin continued staring at the ominous orb laced with dark magic in his hand, his cold eyes not conveying a single emotion. He lifted his head up to look at Zeau, frowning slightly when he noticed the smile on Zeau’s face. 

Shin took a step back, making Zeau raise his eyebrows. 

“Why should I trust you?” Shin questioned, his voice devoid of emotion. 

“I am simply here to help you in your quest in vengeance,” Zeau maintained his smile. “Nothing more, nothing less.” 

“Help does not come for free,” Shin stated. “You want something.” 

“Indeed, it seems that you are more insightful,” Zeau smiled wider. “I simply want you to absorb others like you to increase your strength. That is all.” 

Shin remained silent for a moment, contemplating. There was still no fear in his eyes, and he eventually decided to respond to Zeau. 

“Go away.” 

“...?” 

Zeau blinked in shock. 

“I’ll do everything myself,” Shin said adamantly, his midnight black eyes unwavering. “I will avenge my parents myself.” 

Zeau was surprised, his smile fading. 

“It is impossible for a child like you to kill a man thrice your size,” Zeau stated coldly. “Or even get close to him.” 

“You know nothing.” Shin responded, clearly undaunted by his difficult circumstances. He looked back at the men lying unconscious on the ground, before glancing out the alleyway. 

Without saying another word, he walked past Zeau quietly. 

The image of Xue immediately replaced Shin in Zeau’s eyes. Despite being a scrawny thirteen year old child, the aura around him did not change in any manner. 

The exact resemblance of him. 

Zeau harrumphed. 

“You aren’t the only target I have in mind.” 

With those words, Zeau flipped his robes and disappeared from sight. 

***

Xue did not plan to pursue his soul fragment at this moment. Hence, he shrugged it off and simply asked all of them to move on. Hana and K’xug went on ahead, not questioning his decision.

“Xue, are you really sure?” Cecil questioned, frowning in worry. 

“Yeah, I’m sure.” 

“I don’t think…” Cecil trailed off, shaking her head. “What if something happens?”

Xue could see that Cecil was really concerned about him, and his heart warmed at this sight of a worrisome Cecil. 

“If it concerns you that much,” the ash blonde-haired man softened his gaze, his voice gentle. “We can always catch my soul fragment after you are done registering for the tournament.” 

“Gathering back your soul is...is just as important. We still have ample time to register for the tournament--”

Xue raised his hand, placing it on Cecil’s head. 

“Right now, I am not the priority.” 

Cecil paused, lifting her eyes to stare at Xue. He was looking down at her, a tender look in his eyes

It was so tender, one could melt under his gaze. 

Cecil felt her heart skip a beat, becoming flustered as her cheeks grew warm. Though, Cecil still couldn’t help but worry for Xue and the soul fragment, Shin.