• 38 •

Kai could feel Cecil's arm muscles becoming taut, and he furrowed his eyebrows in concern.

"Cecil? Are you alright? You are tense, does it hurt?"

He saw her wide eyes staring ahead of her, and once she heard Kai talking, she snapped out of reverie.

"Sorry, I just remembered something."

"Well, it's just two more stitches, hang in there." Kai encouraged softly and Cecil was touched.

This adorable puppy is consoling me, even though it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

Cecil smiled, "I'm fine, your stitching skills are great Kai, I hardly feel anything."

"That's good." Kai grinned. "And...done, now to apply the herb and bandage the wound..."

Kai reached over as Alric passed him the herb mixture, it was only this moment that Kai realised Alric was there. Alric, who had been focused on Cecil the entire time, realised that the man in front of him was completely different.

The aloof and uncaring man was gone, replaced by a man with a bright smile.

Alric flinched back.

"You...you are definitely not the man from earlier."

Kai grinned.

"Hey there, if you know what you really are, just know that I'm just like you," Kai spoke good-naturedly, taking the mixture and proceeded to lather it all over Cecil's wound. "Or rather, I am you."

Alric didn't say a word, just looking at Kai with wide eyes.

Cecil sighed at the cooling sensation, and Kai bandaged her wound with care.

"Thank you, Kai."

Kai smiled widely, before that smile faded a little. "Ah, he's nagging at me."

Cecil reached forward, pausing.

He...he can't see this right? I just want to ruffle his hair, one more time. I hope Xue doesn't see this, or else...he will kill me, probably.

In the end, she decided to ruffle Kai's hair like always. "Bye, Kai, see you soon."

"See you later, Cecil." Kai grinned, leaning into her touch just like always.

She withdrew her hand as Kai closed his eyes, and the man's mien changed in an instant. Alric was bewildered by this exchange, finally understanding what Kai actually meant.

Gazing fondly at the bandage, Cecil smiled to herself and she didn't realise Xue's gaze on her, his hand on his hair where Cecil had touched earlier.

[ Reminder, you are only left with 50 minutes to complete secret mission #2. ]

Her smile stiffened again.

She was once again reminded of the second alter she stole from the female lead.

"You are the last one here." Xue suddenly said, looking at Alric.

Alric stared in silent acquiescence.

Xue frowned, he did not know that Alric already knows since they have never communicated at all this entire time.

"You know what I am?" Xue asked upon seeing how composed Alric was.

"Yes," Alric nodded vigorously. "I am you, and you are me. I am just...a small part to what we actually are."

"You remember everything?" Xue questioned, surprised.