A Quick Smile

As soon as I got to bed I felt my eyelids become heavy and I blanked out. After a little bit I regained conscience. Huh. I can't believe It! I got some sleep!

I start turning around to my other side celebrating my victory, when I come face to face with...

"Z-zack?"

__________________________________

"Z-zack?"

No response. 

"Hey Zack!" I whisper-shouted.

Still no response. I sigh. Well, he doesn't seem like he's going to wake up soon. Zack's scythe was resting on the ground. His hood was up and he was curled up in a ball, hugging his knees up to his chest. 

How isn't he freezing?! He didn't even bother to cover himself up with the blankets. 

I get out of bed and check the time on my phone, 3:46 am, too early to go to work. I probably, won't be able to fall asleep again. I was going to just watch tv downstairs but I felt bad to leave Zack by himself, especially without being properly covered by the blankets.

Quietly, I go to Zack's side of the bed. I gently hold up his head and put it on the pillow. I pull the covers under from him after a LOT of hard work, he doesn't look like it but he's really heavy, probably all the muscles. I look down to my right hand and notice they're holding one of Zack's arms.

Why was I feeling his muscles!? How long have I even been here inspecting his toned arm?

I let go of his arm and lean over his laying body. My face is inches away from his and I examine his features. Now that I'm closer I can see a bit of his exposed skin that wasn't covered properly by the bandages. It was kind of wrinkled up, as if he was burnt. But the scars didn't look recent. 

He looks so peaceful when he sleeps, doesn't even look like the type of guy that would slice my neck off if I pissed him off.

Hmph. Lucky bastard gets to sleep well I try to find something to keep me occupied 'till work.

I lift up from my leaning position sitting down on the bed next to Zack and face the window. Various snowflakes dance outside as the wind blows on them. A shiver goes down my spine.

This house is so cold!

I decide to get up to turn on the thermostat. As I start standing up something rough grabs my hand jerking me to a stop. 

On instinct I pull my hand back and swing my head around to find Zack's expressionless face and eyes looking directly at mine. Thankfully, they weren't red but one gold and the other brown. 

"Hey kitty, what's so interesting about my face for you to be looking at it so closely?" His voice was hoarse and quiet

"Hey kitty, what's so interesting about my face for you to be looking at it so closely?" His voice was hoarse and quiet. I haven't seem him so calm since we first met.

"You were awake?"

"I was sleeping until I felt someones breathing on my face." Zack let a smile escape for a quick second but made his face expressionless again, "Tsk. Don't do that again." He turned around and faced away from me.

"Zack~ I saw that!"

"Saw what?" Zack grumbled.

"Saw that smile~" I jump in bed and lay down in front of Zack and he covers his head with the covers.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Just let me sleep," he mumbled.

"Okay, okay."

I leave my room closing the door behind me and head to the living room. I watch a bunch of movies in a row but get distracted with Zack. I think about him eating his cereal, sleeping in bed with me, and that cute smile he let slip.

What is going up in his head? Why is he even here with me anymore?  Too many questions, and so far, no answers.