Chapter 35

The line snaked around the store before ending at a table where Billy and the band chatted with fans and signed whatever was in front of them. Billy gave me a wink when I caught his eye as I entered.

"This feels very pop star-esque," I whispered to Tim.

"Yeah, it is, but it gets people's attention. When we started doing them, they were so boring. No one showed. One time, only three people came. I think one just needed to use the bathroom." Tim laughed to himself. "Vinyl section." His eyes lit up as he immediately changed the direction of his stride.

"Okay, but you have to talk while you flip," I demanded as I trailed after him.

Tim shot me a mournful look.

"Tess, I need all the info."

"She's amazing. She has an entire room devoted to 45s. And she has great taste. Things were going well. We've been texting and talking a couple of times a week, but today I found a copy of Rip it Up on vinyl, so I sent her a text and nothing."

"How long has it been?"

"Like two hours," he exclaimed.

"Maybe you're overreacting? It's only been a couple of hours."

"It's never taken a couple of hours before. And it correlates with my impending return home." Tim was quickly flipping through records.

"Timmy, simmer if she doesn't call by tomorrow, just try her again." I laid a hand on his arm to slow his manic flipping. "Tim, are you listening?"

"Yes, I don't agree, but I'm listening." Seeing Tim spun up by a girl was sweet.

"Hey, want to go get Billy's tea with me?"

He paused his flipping and let out an enormous sigh. "Yeah, fine."

We headed out a side door and started walking. Coffee shops were like post boxes; they popped up every couple of blocks.

"So, you and Billy are tense."

"Oh, yeah." Tim seemed a bit more apologetic. "Just a lot of time together and..."

"And someone needs to keep his head from blowing up to the size of a parade balloon." I deliberately knocked into him.

"Yeah, that's pretty much it," Tim admitted.

"And how's that going?" I pressed.

"Fine. He gets moody sometimes, but it's when..." His eyes lifted to me.

"Me, when I happen,"

"Yeah, I mean, he worries about you. It's hard." Tim was sympathetic, if nothing else.

"And I make it harder." All of my doubts in myself resonate through to Billy's suspicions of us.

"He gets lonely. He misses his mom a lot, too. They talk every day."

"Every day?" I knew they were close, but not that close.

"Every day," Tim read my expression. "It's endearing," he added.

"Yes," I agreed. "So, when did all this happen?"

Tim held the door to a café for me. "Well, pretty much, Europe. They were already big there, which is why the label booked the tour. The first single was taking off here over the summer, and when we got back, this greeted us. I'm not sure if you noticed, but people seem particularly taken with Billy."

"I caught that."

"Yeah, the band isn't super excited about his breakout success," Tim admitted.

"Well, his success is their success; I mean, how upset can they be?" I shrugged.