Chapter 24

"I have to ask, isn't it customary to take new people to a seafood restaurant?" A spark in Billy's eyes pulled me over the table at the Indian restaurant to be closer to him. We'd been inseparable, barring when he was on stage. Despite that, words never failed us.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I don't like seafood, so I never think to take anyone to seafood restaurants."

"Wait, you're a Mainer, born and raised, and you don't like seafood?" Billy's focus on me was daunting.

"I also don't like blueberries, but I love Moxie and red hot dogs."

"I'm not sure of any of that."

"Moxie is a soda, and the nomenclature of a red hot dog is self-explanatory, although many people around here call them red snappers."

Billy just continued to gaze at me expectantly.

"Do you want to know the background of a hot dog?"

"If you're telling it to me, yes." His sincerity made my toes curl.

"Okay, well, they use a lamb casing that has more collagen in it than the artificial casings around today, so they snap when you bite into them."

"But why are they red?"

"Honestly, I think it's just a marketing ploy. The red sticks out on the shelves; easier to find."

Billy skeptically nodded at me.

"Sorry, it isn't something more illustrious."

"I'd like to try both."

"Noted," I teasingly smiled.

A smirk filled his face at my favorite mockery.

"Now, I want to stop talking about me. Tell me more about you; when did you start playing music?" I needed the focus off me. 

"I don't remember. My brothers all played various instruments, and I just wanted to be included. Of course, because I was the youngest, I had to be decent for them to give me the time of day." He laughed to himself. "I guess that worked out." He pushed a chickpea around his plate.

"What was the first instrument you played?"

"Drums. Still my favorite, it's the heart of the music." Billy's eyes flickered up to mine. "Not that I have to explain that to you." He gave me a wink before letting out a throaty laugh. He leaned in as though he were telling a secret. "My mom is a big Beatles fan. When I was about ten, I thought it'd be cool to learn a Beatles song and play it for her on her birthday."

"That's sweet," but my praise elicited a grimace.

"I chose Blackbird. So, I played it, but when I looked up, I had wrecked her. I mean full-on tears, snot, just a mess. Of course, I didn't know what I'd done, so it crushed me, which she immediately saw. I remember the faint smile she gave before she excused herself to the kitchen. Almost ended my music career."

"Why was she so upset?"

"She wasn't upset. It turns out she was my biggest fan. That's when she realized I had a real affinity for music. She was proud but also a little scared about what it all meant."

"Sounds like a smart lady."

"She's going to love you." He smiled a warm smile as he threw his napkin down on his plate.

"Beach?" I asked as we stepped out of the restaurant.

"Did you forget my fear of the ocean?" He matched his step to mine and caught the mischievous smile crossing my face. "What? Does my fear entertain you?"

"No," I leaned in and grasped his arm. "When we walk, you slow your pace to match my stubby legs."

A throaty laugh erupted from his chest. "Short; your legs are short, not stubby. And, I enjoy considering you in more than just my pace." He leaned down and kissed the top of my head.

"Billy Collins, are you trying to distract me to get out of the beach?"

"That depends; is it working?"

"There's a little beach on the East End; it's only a few blocks away."

"It's getting cold. We should stop at your place to get you a coat."

He was right; a coolness blanketed the evening beneath the setting sun. I leaned further into the warmth of his side and grasped his hand.

"Fine, but I want to go to the beach, so don't distract me with your boyish good looks."

"No promises."

Billy fell heavy to the couch as soon as we arrived at my apartment.

"Billy, beach," I whined as I paced to him and held out my hands to pull him back up.

Instead, he pulled me down to his lap.

"What did I say about your boyish good looks?"

"They're distracting." His lips danced up my neck.

"What happened to the gentleman?" I joked as I twisted my neck away from his tickling kisses.

"I think he went to the beach," he tucked in further to continue to pepper my neck.

"Don't start something you won't finish." I pushed off his chest, settling further back on his lap.

His eyes filled with a burning that I typically only saw for the briefest of moments before he chased it away. This time, he reached out for me and pulled me into the heart of his gaze. His rough fingertips drifted up my body, sending fire through me. Instinctively, I gasped for air in anticipation of his next move. It propelled him forward. I caught a momentary flutter of his thick eyelashes before his lips careened into mine. As quickly as they arrived, they moved across my cheek and down my neck; the soft tenderness of his lips contrasted the burning rub of his stubble against my delicate skin.

He lifted me with ease; his hands stabilized me against his waist. I clung to him, letting my face sink into his shoulder. I let myself sink further into the swirl of lust clouding my brain. His proximity filled my nose with the smell of his musk and cigarettes. Just as I felt myself centering, a swoosh landed me on the bed. The glance between us sent us both aflame. My body shifted as he fell to my side.

We melted together as my mind slipped to the chill of his absence. I pushed it aside. He was here with me, pulling me to him. I refused to let the thoughts of his absence cool the moment's warmth.

As though he could sense my hesitation, he lifted his face from my shoulder. He studied my expression as he brushed my hair from my face. Of all the sensual touches of the moment, this well-practiced trace sent the largest shiver through my body. He let his hand smooth the length of my hair.

"You're beautiful." His words cause a warm rush over my face.

The distance between us was too much. I knotted his t-shirt in my hands, pulling Billy to me. A groan rose from low in his throat. He was all that existed as his arms circled me, pulling me to him. His lips met mine again in a mix of harmony and fight as I sunk further into the passions.