Chapter 12

"Thank you," Nina's mom sincerely spoke as we gathered our bags from the overhead bins.

"My pleasure. It was fun to break up the ride."

"You do beautiful work, and they're so unique."

"Thanks, it's a way to keep my hands busy." I shrugged before turning and weaving down the narrow aisle of the bus.

I had forgotten about the humid June heat until I stepped off the bus. It consumed me in a cloud of steam and stale cigarette smoke. I didn't have any stowed bags, so I headed into the station, glancing around, looking for Billy's tall stature, but didn't see him.

"Where's your friend?" Nina asked from behind me. She skipped a bit as she clung to her mom's hand.

"Looks as though he isn't"... But before I could finish, I saw him with a teasing grin on his face, observing me from the door I had entered.

"He's tall," Nina said as she looked over her shoulder at Billy.

"He is," I agreed. 

Billy pushed off the wall and headed toward me. 

"And he's teasing me." I gave Nina a wink, and she let out a giggle.

"Hello, Lily." He spoke smoothly with a touch of his sing-song bravado.

"Hello, Billy." My head slightly nodded, accepting the formal greeting.

"Are you going to introduce me to your friends?" He smiled at Nina.

"This is Nina and her mother." Guilt filled my voice as I had never asked Nina's mom her name.

"Hello, Nina and Nina's mother," Billy extended a hand to Nina first, who blushed as she shook it, and then raised his hand to Nina's mom.

"Patty," she clarified as she shook his hand.

"I hope Lily wasn't too much of a bother on the bus. She can get antsy when cooped up."

"Billy," I scolded as I slapped his shoulder. "It was a pleasure to meet you both," I added to Patty. "Enjoy the museum." 

She smiled as she ushered Nina on their way. 

"I'm not a child." I scolded Billy again.

"Are you sure?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Maybe I didn't miss you."

"Oh, you missed me."

"Where's Tim?" I glanced, looking for a face I had no hope of recognizing.

"Asleep." Billy shrugged as he took my bag and slung it over his shoulder. "Breakfast?"

"Yes, I'm starving," I admitted. 

We walked in silence from the terminal and down the block past several shops that had not yet opened.

"Look at that hat." His fingers tapped a window to a consignment shop.

"The fedora?" I cupped my hands on the glass as I tried to peer deeper into the shop.

"It's a pork-pie hat." His gaze lingered on it with a heavy focus.

"We can come by later."

His proximity was both comforting and nerve-wracking.

"Sounds good."

Billy waited for me to walk again before he joined me.

"Hat fan?" I asked.

"Yeah, I enjoy them; they feel proper." My pace forced his walk to a casual saunter. "How's the grocery store?"

"Good," I answered with a sigh.

Before I could ask about the road, Billy started again. "When I was a kid, there was a girl that worked at the corner store; looked like Wednesday Addams. I had the biggest crush on her." He laughed at the memory.

"I had a crush on Rodriguez from The Sandlot."

"Great movie. Do you like baseball?"

"Yeah, I guess. Fan only; I fear the ball."

"I played baseball as a kid. Still would if someone would play with me." His eyes gazed down at the sidewalk, but his dimples pricked his cheeks. "Sometimes, when we have an off day, I make it to a batting cage. But we don't get a lot of off days; we don't make any money on those days." He was quiet for a moment as he pondered. "Did you play any sports?"

"Yeah. I swam and played basketball, and I played field hockey for a bit in high school."

"Field hockey; with the skirts?" His tone made me blush.

"Who's a gentleman now?" I teased. "Would you have gone for a field hockey player in high school?"

He dipped his head and nudged his shoulder into mine. "No, mostly because I didn't have a chance."

"I doubt that," I nudged him back.

"Mmhmm. I'm still uncertain I have a chance." His voice was lower. I shook my head at his silliness. "What?" He prodded as a mix of tease and annoyance filled his voice.

"You're quite the conundrum." I dipped my head and let out a smile at the idea of Billy thinking he didn't have a chance.

"Quite the conundrum," he echoed me. "I enjoy your words."

Another tiny giggle slipped from my lips, "you enjoy my words."

"And I'm a conundrum," he tipped sideways slowly before clattering in front of me like a choreographed dance move as he eased into walking backward. "You're beautiful." He added as he continued walking. A flush hit my face as I dropped it lower to hide. "Don't do that." His finger lifted my face to his. "Don't hide your face from me, especially when you're responding."

His finger on my chin and swirling words hypnotized me. I didn't even realize we had stopped walking.

"You're quite the flirt, Billy Collins."

"And my mom thinks I'm too shy." There was a tease in his tone as he spun on his heel and waited for me to set the pace again.