Chapter 31

The only sounds were his heartbeat and the slow intake and exhale of breath within his chest for a long while. Small circles were burning into my lower back, where his fingertips danced. I was glad I came. The quiet moments always reminded me why it was worth the noise and anxiety of the loud moments. The safety and warmth were lulling my heavy eyelids to close.

"How are your classes?" Billy finally broke. His words came louder than needed as if he were trying to ward off sleep.

"Good, I'm a little ahead, which is nice. I like my Canadian History class. It's funny; Canada is so close, and I knew so little. The assigned books are fascinating to read." My words came with the breathiness of a yawn.

"When you're done, can you hold on to one for me?"

I smiled at the request. This was my Billy, the interested one.

"Of course," I agreed.

"Any chance I can persuade you to my mom's house for Thanksgiving?" He already knew the answer.

"I can't; I have to go to my parents. Maybe I could fly in on Friday and stay for a few days. I don't have Monday classes, but I'd need to be back for Tuesday."

"I'd love that." He lifted my hand to his lips and gave it a gentle kiss. "I can't wait for you to meet my mom."

"Billy, I'm worried about you. You seem exhausted." I brushed the hair from his face and let my eyes float over the purple skin beneath his eyes.

"It's late, and I just got in from Europe. I promise; I'm good." He gave me a weak smile.

We both wanted to believe him.

"Well, let's go to bed." I stood up and held my hands out to him.

He only took one hand, knowing that I couldn't help lift him from the couch. With a bashed ankle, he needed at least one arm to propel himself up to standing.

I was too tired to rummage through my bag, so I ripped my jeans off and slid into bed with my t-shirt as my pajamas. I dug my phone from my pants' pocket and set the alarm for 9 am, ensuring enough battery power to last the night. When I rolled over, Billy was sliding into bed. Billy slept next to me, naked, all the summer, but it had been long enough that it now sent a carnal surge to my core. For once, he didn't notice the effect he had on me.

"Come here," he pulled me to his side.

I let my hand trace over the contours of his collarbone and chest. His gaze followed as my fingertips skated across his skin.

"Tell me about Europe," I prodded.

I didn't care about Europe; I wanted to watch his Adam's apple and feel his words vibrate through his chest.

He whispered stories of the road, mostly of funny mishaps Tim created for himself. "He's the only one with time to have any fun," Billy ended. It was a sad finish to the light stories.

"I'm sorry," I softly kissed his neck.

"It's fine. If you were there, I'd have felt like I missed something. But it was like a flyover. We'll go sometime; you and me." He looked down at me and tilted my face to his with his fingers.

He was there, so near to me, the gentle boy with deep brown eyes trying so hard to be a gentleman despite my attempts to the contrary. He warred with himself again. It tipped the corners of my lips for a moment. I hid away my smile as I met his eyes.

Our lips slowly moved against each other as though they were parts of a rusted engine. I pushed myself closer to Billy, so my hand could reach the back of his neck. My motion caused him to grasp at my hips to aid in the shifting. The closer proximity loosened us both as his lips parted mine and explored. I missed the sensations he sent through me and found myself drawn to him until, with a small swift assist from his hands, I straddled him. The excitement surged through me as I scanned over him for a moment. His fingers gently tugged at my t-shirt. I pulled it off, settling my gaze on his eyes as they washed over me. I let out a small giggle at his approval before I entirely sunk into him.