Chapter 5

Working at a grocery store made it easy to zone out: greeting, scan, scan, scan, have a nice day, and next. The afternoon slipped by, and then it was four.

There was plenty of time to get home; it was only eight blocks, and Billy's flight wasn't even touching down for another fifteen minutes. I made a pit stop at King's for a malt and an egg cream. By 4:30 pm, I was climbing the stairs to my apartment, expecting another twenty to thirty minutes before he showed up—just enough time for a shower.

"Hey, Lil." His voice always sounded inflicted with a sore throat.

I stared back at him for a minute, surprised to see him leaning against the wall next to my door. He rolled his head against the wall as he turned, as though lifting his body from his lean would cause him to collapse to the floor.

"Miss me?"

"You're here." The mix of him standing before me and him being carelessly striking filled my voice.

Billy wasn't wearing his all-black attire. He dressed casually in worn blue jeans and a white t-shirt. He looked normal if normal made me unable to breathe.

"We talked yesterday; did you forget?" Panic flashed in his eye.

"No, I mean, I wasn't expecting you for another half hour." I shook off the surprise. "I'm sorry. Hi," I said in a less disturbed tone. I knocked off my hesitation and moved in to greet him.

"Hey," his second greeting was breathy as he leaned in to kiss my temple before pulling back. "Here." He took the drinks from me and set them on the floor before wrapping me in a full hug.

I had forgotten his height; when we hugged, his shoulders rounded as he slumped to ease my burden of reach.

"Hey, I missed you," I whispered into his shoulder. 

"Good." His tone was teasing, but unmistakable pleasure sparked in his eyes.

"Oh, chocolate malt," I added, picking up his drink.

"You're the best." He stuck the straw in his mouth and sucked as though he were consuming life itself. "I've gotten a malt in most cities, and this is easily in my top three."

"Only the top three? Ambiance must not be a factor." I teased as I unlocked my door and pushed in, turning back to him in time to catch his eyes flowing over me with the distinct tone of desire.

"It wouldn't be fair to weigh atmosphere." His attempt at a tease fell flat as he tried to mask his wanting gaze with a twitch around the empty living room. "Roommates?"

"Gone; the subletters move in on the first." I tossed my keys on the counter.

"Did you sublet, or are you staying here?"

"Staying. I love my parents, but the house becomes small when I stay there. I see them a lot, though; they're just outside the city."

"You've mentioned that." His smile was tight as an awkwardness cropped up between us.

"Do you mind if I shower?" I desperately wanted to wash the grocery store off me.

"No, of course not. Do your thing."

"Make yourself at home." I flailed my hands around the living room, trying to mime welcoming.

I hurried from the room to escape the uncomfortable moment. Once we separated, a magnetic pull back to him tugged at me. I quickly showered, so the discomfort didn't linger for too long.

"Thoughts on dinner?" I called out to him as I dressed.

"Ah, no. What do you want?"

"Honestly, I don't know. I should've picked something up to cook. You're probably sick of restaurant food."