Welcome to New Orleans

I walk into a bar, Rousseau's, and have a seat at the counter. A pretty, blonde bartender greets me. "What can I get you?" Her smile seems genuine enough that I decide this might be a good place to take a breather after my long trip here.

"Just a bourbon," I reply. She nods. I watch her leave to begin pouring my drink. Pulling my phone out, I check it for any new messages, but I have none. I've been waiting to hear from Stefan. He hasn't returned any of my calls all summer, and I'm concerned. Damon keeps trying to convince me that it's because he needs space, but I have a bad feeling in my gut every time I think of my twin. I think I'll try calling him again later.

"Here you go," the bartender interrupts my thoughts, setting my drink in front of me. I smile up at her.

"Thanks..." I glance at her name tag, "Camille."

"Cami," she corrects me. "I have to change this name tag, drunk guys keep hitting on me in French." She laughs. "So, you new in town?" She questions, trying to spark up a conversation.

I take a sip of my bourbon. "Not new, just haven't visited in a long time," I answer, meeting her gaze.

"What made you come back?" Cami leans across the counter, interested in my answer.

I grin up at her. "The typical stupid girl reason, a guy." We both laugh lightly.

"I know how you feel," she sighs, seeming to get lost in thought. This grabs my attention.

"Oh, now you've got to share. Whose the guy?" I inquire, scooting closer to the bar to hear better.

Cami shrugs, "I don't even know if I can consider him anything, I mean we're not dating. He's just wooing me...sort of. I don't know. I mean, he's very charming, which probably means I should run for the hills."

"I don't know, charming isn't always bad," I think of Klaus, "just gets you in a lot of trouble," I joke, causing us to share another laugh. I narrow my eyes at Cami, analyzing her for a second before smiling at her again. "You know, I think I like you Cami, which is rare because I don't like a lot of people."

"Thanks." She smiles awkwardly, confused on how to take it.

"Trust me, that was a compliment." I giggle at her facial expression. "So Cami, tell me, what are you doing tonight?"

"Uh, don't take this the wrong way, but don't you have your guy to meet?" She questions. I smirk at her, amused by her comment.

"He's been waiting for me for awhile now, a little more time won't kill him." I chuckle, thinking of Klaus's relentless pursuits to court me. "Besides, I think surprising him is the better way to go."

This catches Cami's interest. "Wait, so he doesn't know you're here?" Her curiosity only fuels my smirk as I continue speaking.

"He knew I was coming, just not when. I told him I would come after I tied up some loose ends," I reply. "But enough about him, going back to tonight, what are your plans?"

"Uh, well I was invited to a a fancy gala thing by a kind-of-friend, but-"

"Sounds perfect!" I grin, suddenly standing up, causing Cami to step back in surprise. "I've always loved a good gala." I smile finishing my drink in one gulp, slamming it on the counter, before putting money next to it. "See you there Cami!" I call as I begin to leave. If I know Klaus, he would never resist a good party.

"Bye?" I hear Cami mumble as the door shuts behind me.

...

I enter the gala, surprised to find it being hosted in the French Quarter, my old home. I used to live here with the Mikaelsons. Clearly things have changed though, and I have a lot to be caught up on. Searching around, I spot Cami, surprisingly talking to Rebekah, Klaus a step behind. I grin as I head their way, their conversation greeting my ears.