The Death of a Salvatore Sister

Klaus's POV

The sky is darkening as we light candles in the room. Their light casts shadows along the wall in a haunting flicker. Back and forth the shadows sway as if they too understand what is to come. Elijah stands behind me, his hand pressed against my shoulder. I allow him to touch me so for now as I watch over Lily, knowing it gives him comfort too. Lily sleeps soundly before me, and although I wish she was awake, I'm pleased to know that she doesn't feel any pain in her sleep. No, in her sleep she's at peace, and that's all I could hope for.

The graying veins have spread from her ankles to her knees. Each time I check, it's as though a piece of me shatters even more. As Cami and Hayley gather on the other side of the bed, I watch the sorrow enter their eyes. Marcel stands at the foot of the bed with tears in his eyes. Rebekah is gone. Not because she didn't wish to be here, but because I told her she could leave. She's never been good at handling grief such as this. I excused the others too, but they wished to stay. Thus, this leaves my brother, Hayley, Cami, Marcel, and I to all watch the woman I love die together.

With a heavy heart, I glance back at Elijah. "Stefan and Damon?" I ask, knowing that Lily would want them here.

Elijah nods. "Stefan said they ran into car trouble, but they should arrive within the hour." I frown at this. They'll be too late. I can feel it. They won't be here in time.

Brushing my thumb over the back of Lily's hand, I sigh. For there is no way to describe how I'm feeling. It's all too much, so I shut it down. Instead, I force myself to become stone. Lily needs me to be strong right now.

I lean down to press a kiss to her forehead before leaning my head against the bed. A silence drapes the room in a chilling manner, but what else is there to say?

She's going to die...and there's nothing I can do to stop it. The mere thought leaves me feeling guilty. I swore to protect her, and I've failed. I failed her, just as I did before. I never deserved her, not her love. She is a precious gem, and I ruined her. I was too selfish. I couldn't let her go, even though I know I should have. For I always hurt everyone around me. I hurt her.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I clasp onto her hand tighter.

I'm sorry, Lily. I'm so sorry.

...

The sight is hard to watch. With a grin, Lily twirls in another man's arms. Her laugh rings out as he mumbles something to her, and he grins at her. Around the dance floor, they spin, and she looks so happy. I know I should allow her to be. I will. It's only...I wish she looked that way with me. This always happens when we attend balls. Men see her and fight over the opportunity to dance with her. She's much too kind to deny them, which leaves me standing on the sidelines watching with a bitter taste in my mouth. Elijah likes to tease me about my jealousy. I merely brush him off.

"Really, brother? You intend to spend another evening glaring at every man that dares a glance in Lily's direction." Elijah sends me a disapproving look. I turn my so-called glare onto him. "If the sight of her dancing with another man displeases you so much, might I suggest you ask her to dance yourself?"

Shaking my head, I return my gaze to Lily. "You don't understand, Elijah."

"No, I don't." He places a hand on my shoulder. "Why are you so afraid to show her how you feel? Do you really fear that she does not return your affection? Be-"

"Leave it alone, brother," I warn him.

Elijah hums, removing his touch. "I can be quite observant, Niklaus. And I have observed the two of you for quite some time. You've certainly spent a large amount of it together, and it's clear to see that she feels-"