Rescue of a Soul

Arriving outside some abandoned farm looking area off the back roads of Louisiana, I frown. This is where Klaus's text said to meet him. With a bad feeling swirling around in my gut, I'm hesitant as I near the buildings on the property, cautious of my surroundings as Mikael could be anywhere.

When I near the largest building on the property, the sounds of a struggle meet my ears, followed by a guttural scream of pain, one that's too familiar. I vamp inside the building, finding a sight that makes my heart stop. "Nik," I breathe out, running to his side. I fall to my knees and grasp onto his chest. "Nik!" The white oak stake pierces his chest as gray veins cover his entire body. If he was truly staked, he should be burning by now. Something's wrong...or right, so I don't waste time. I grip onto the stake and pull it out of his chest.

Screaming from somewhere outside echoes throughout the building...Davina's scream. I stare down at the white oak stake in my hands. She must have deactivated it somehow, at least temporary. Footsteps echo behind me. I turn around, finding Mikael glaring at me with dried blood on his face. I tighten my grip on the stake.

"What do you think you're doing?" He glowers at me.

I hold up the stake between us as I stand, guarding Klaus's body. "What someone should have done a long time ago." I rush at him with the stake in hand. I know it's stupid, he's way more powerful than me, but I have to try. He got to Klaus. He hurt the man I love. He's hurt me. This needs to end.

Mikael deflects my first attack, shoving me to the side, but I don't give up. I lunge out at him again, throwing a punch with my left fist while swiping out with the stake with my right. I manage to draw blood at the stake cuts through his left arm, but unfortunately that's all the damage I manage before he grabs onto me and sends me flying across the room. The stake slips out of my hand as I crash into the wall. My back takes the brunt of the damage. "You have a fierce heart," Mikael remarks, stepping towards me, "but an unworthy cause," he sneers. "Perhaps I'll keep your heart as a souvenir."

As Mikael nears me, I push away the pain and try to stand. I will not surrender to this pathetic excuse of a man. Mikael laughs as I stand. "Oh, girl. How pitiful your determination is. You will die today, though I must admit I can appreciate your willingness to die in battle like a true warrior."

I scowl at him. "Bring it."

Mikael smiles before rushing at me. However, before I can prepare to defend myself, Marcel vamps into the room and uses the element of surprise to attack Mikael, making Mikael retreat in his steps. But Mikael does not allow Marcel to get in more than a few punches before he knocks Marcel to the ground, grabbing what appears to be a broken handle of a broom or something and holding it above Marcel's heart as a makeshift stake. "Now, enough! This night has been a long parade of fools. I'll enjoy killing every last one of you."

A gasp echoes across the room, my eyes follow the sound to see Klaus waking up. The relief I feel is imminent, but I don't focus on it long as Hayley appearing distracts me. With an industrial chain in hand, Hayley swings it around Mikael's neck, making him turn to face her. "Yeah, I wouldn't bet on it," She says before swinging the chain and knocking Mikael to the ground. Klaus and Marcel stand, and I step near the boys as Hayley drops back to our side too. Davina steps into the building from outside.

Mikael stumbles up to his feet, makeshift stake still in hand. He glares at the five of us.

"It's over, Mikael. You're outnumbered," Klaus says, stepping forward. "Are you going to beg for your miserable life?"

He laughs. "You think having people makes you strong? It proves how weak you are. Come find me when you don't have fools, women and children fighting your battles." He throws his makeshift stake to the ground before vamping off.