The Other Side

And I am there.

I'm there as Klaus is plagued by nightmares, tossing and turning, calling out my name. His hand reaching out toward my side of the bed before he wakes and reality comes crashing in again. I'm there as he distracts himself with a new plan to protect his daughter, aligning with the wolves with the promise of moonlight rings. I'm there when Elijah's faction treaty falls apart. And I'm there when Cami's uncle dies. I'm there through all the power struggles and melt-downs.

But eventually, I get pulled away.

Something is off with the Other Side. I'm not sure what. All I know is that the air is different and that this difference came over night. Deciding to find Bonnie, all I can hope is that she has answers. Because whatever this change is...it doesn't feel like it's something good. As I walk through the woods outside of Mystic Falls, I feel a wave of energy pass through me. The force of it startles me, leaving me blinking in confusion as it passes. But my confusion doesn't stop my surprise when I blink my eyes open to see other people around me. I gasp with shock, and they do the same.

What is happening here?

Approaching a young-looking werewolf, I frown at her. "Can you see me?" I ask. She nods, her eyes wide with fear. My lips part, but words fail me. She can see me. I can see her. I-

"Lil-Lil." My heart jumps at the name. Spinning around, I can't believe the sight in front of me. There, Kol Mikaelson stands. Dashing toward him, I wrap my arms around him. He embraces me in return. "It's nice to see you too," he murmurs into my hair.

I pull away, gaping at him. "But how? Why? I thought we were supposed to live in solitude here. What's going on here? Why can I see you? Feel you?"

Kol shakes his head. "I'm not quite sure, darling. Though I must admit, it's nice to be seen. The rumblings from the witches is that somebody tore his way out of here, and now this whole place is unraveling." As if on cue, a strong wind starts blowing. Unprepared for it, I stumble and Kol catches me. I look to him with concern as thunder-like sound booms in the distance and the sky grows darker.

Shaking my head, I frown at him. "I don't understand though, how could someone break out of here?"

A worried sigh slips from Kol's lips as he shares my concerned look. "From what I've picked up, Travelers-"

"Travelers," I repeat, "I've heard about them, though just recently. They wanted doppelgänger blood from Elena and Stefan."

Kol nods. "Yes, it seems they've come to Mystic Falls to break the curse the witches placed upon them."

Titling my head to the side, I stare at Kol in confusion. "A curse?" Of course he knows this. He was always knowledgeable about lore and prophecies.

He hums. "The witches cursed the Travelers so they may never settle together in one place. If they did, disaster would strike and waste them all away. The mumblings I've heard is that the Travelers have found a way to use doppelgänger blood to undo witch magic. It seems they broke their leader out from here."

Gawking at him, I try to wrap my mind around it all. So, the Travelers are trying to undo witch magic, so they can settle, and they broke their leader out. So, that's why the Other Side is...is...

"Kol," I mutter, "I think...I think the Other Side is crumpling."

On cue, the wind picks up and the ground starts to shake. Kol grabs onto my hand.

"Whatever it is, Lil-Lil, I think it's best we move." I nod, and we leave. The air grows tenser around us as if it's electrified with some new form of magic. As we walk, I glance around at the few supernaturals around us, sharing in their panicked stares. They can all feel it. Something is seriously wrong here. But before I can process the thought much longer, the wind grows stronger, and Kol and I watch as people start getting swept up in it, vanishing.